Tuesday, June 11, 2019

Every Day

Every Day is based on a 2012 book of the same name by David Levithan. It was adapted as a movie in 2018.

avclub.com

What It's About:

Every day a person named A wakes up in the body of a different human being. They are not a body in and of themselves, and only a soul. On one particular day, A wakes up in the body of Justin and meets his girlfriend Rhiannon, with whom they spend an unforgettable day. Rhiannon, unused to this type of attention from Justin is over the moon, but when Justin can't remember it the next day, she is not only heartbroken, but confused. A, however, has fallen head over heels. Through a series of different bodies, A meets Rhiannon and explains their story - and when the two start a relationship, they have no choice but to hide it. For who would understand that when Rhiannon looks like she is with a different person every day, that she is really with A? 


Why You'll Love It:

  • This movie really makes you think about consent. With A being in a different person's body every day, you really have to consider what actions are acceptable, and what aren't. It also deals with gender and the spectrum of gender and sexuality, and how people can be loved for being people rather than just their bodies.
  • Some great lines, using real teen language. It feels like teens, not adults writing about teens.
  • It reminds you to embrace how special your differences make you, but also reinforces how much the same we all are.
  • The soundtrack is awesome. Music plays an important part in this movie, and the songs are chosen really well.
Why You Might Want To Skip It:
  • I got so emotionally invested by the end that I nearly threw up. I'm not someone who tends to cry at movies or anything, so the fact that my reaction to this one was so strong means that it will really pack a punch for some people. So, this could be both a plus or a minus, but it made me an emotional wreck, and I wouldn't go into this lightly.
  • You have to just accept and believe a few things. Although it's a modern day romance, it has a sci-fi/fantasy element that has a few plot holes. Typical of movies and books in this sort of genre, teenagers are able to skip school and party with no consequences, and you have to let it go and move on to enjoy this.
  • Once you have the first few plot points out of the way, you can roughly figure out how things are going to go. You might not have the end exactly predicted, but this won't be anything surprising asides from the original concept.
Final Thoughts
I was surprised by how much I actually enjoyed this! I don't think it's one of those movies I could watch over and over again because of how intense it can get, but I think it was very well done. Even though it was created with a teen audience in mind, I think it's accessible for adults as well, and despite the fantastical elements, I think it're more realistic than a lot of the teen dramas that have been coming out lately. I absolutely would recommend it. I can't speak to its accuracy to the book, however, as I have not read it yet, but as a stand alone element I thought it was great.

2 comments:

  1. I've been thinking about watching this! It looks interesting, for sure!
    xx

    ReplyDelete