Tuesday, November 19, 2019

Mini-Reviews: Aquaman, Billy Elliot, The Choice


The past few months have been crazy and hectic. I haven't watched a lot of TV or movies, but I've experienced quite the eclectic mix of titles! From superheroes to dance to romances, here are the most recent ones I'd like to share with you!

metro.co.uk
Aquaman
I walked into this one expecting it to be visually stunning, but not particularly great otherwise. As I am not a huge fan of the DC Universe, I didn't have any attachment to the characters or the story from the beginning. Well, it was exactly what I expected. Although I knew it was necessary, the film was very heavy in its use of CGI - and it wasn't always well done. Unfortunately this took away from the seriousness of certain scenes. Did I enjoy watching it well enough? Yes. Do I plan on watching it again or specifically recommend it? Nope, not really.



independent.co.uk
Billy Elliot
I've wanted to watch this one for quite some time now, and was interested in it as well knowing about Elton John's involvement in the musical. This is just the movie the musical is based on however, and not a musical itself. Jamie Bell's acting is wonderful (and he is about 1 trillion percent adorable), and this story is an absolutely lovely one. It feels real and inspiring, and was quite enjoyable to watch. There are hardships and frustrations, and biases and disbelief - and yet it also shows how people and perceptions can change, and that you can triumph and follow your dreams regardless of the situations you are born into. Definitely would recommend.

thepeoplesmovies.com
The Choice
Oh great, another Nicholas Sparks movie - that was why I avoided this one. Honestly, I get so mad with Sparks always having a romance where someone dies that I had mostly given up on him except for a few solid pieces (A Walk to Remember, I'm looking at you!). Yet, since I was had watched Safe Haven when it came out, and it didn't make me angry, I figured maybe I should attempt this one. But then I couldn't get behind the male lead, so I stayed away. Cue my next attempt...and I fell head over heels with this one. Whew. Yep, definitely loved it, and will totally be watching it again (while I sit here and pretend I haven't re-watched sections of it of Netflix...).

----------------
Have you seen any of these? Perhaps you've seen the Billy Elliot musical instead? Let me know what you thought!

2 comments:

  1. I haven’t seen anything Billy Elliot related, but I really want to one day see the musical! I am a huge musical fan and it looks really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and I really need to share all of our favourite musicals!

      Delete