Monday, February 3, 2020

January 2020 Update

I'm getting my groove back! I'm feeling a lot better in general now, and getting back into watching television and movies, and reading. Not to say that some days I don't want to do anything...but I'm definitely on the right track to being in a better place mentally and emotionally. So...what did I watch?

Started Watching:


pbs.org

Sanditon - season 1
This started airing in Canada a few weeks ago, and I started watching it right away. I had already been watching clips of it on YouTube because it had been out in the UK (so yes, I know spoilers). It's based on an unfinished Jane Austen story, and although I haven't read it yet, I knew I wanted to watch it. Apparently her writing only covers the first episode or two of the series, but I'm interested to see where the showrunners take it. I'm definitely enjoying it so far, and will probably read the original sooner than otherwise planned. If you need a selling point other than a period drama by PBS based on an Austen work, it also has Theo James in it (Four in Divergent, Mr. Pamuk in Downton Abbey).

ca.ign.com

Howard's End
Some people may be very shocked to hear I am watching this. Others will be confused why I wouldn't want to, considering I love period dramas and Hayley Atwell. Well, I remember watching the 1992 film with Emma Thompson and Anthony Hopkins...and I despised the ending so much that it ruined the whole thing for me (we can chat about this in the comments if you'd like, but I'm trying to avoid spoilers!). Seeing this fresh adaptation, I thought it might be worth giving it another try - perhaps I just found that version didn't work for me. I'm a good chunk of the way through it now - there's only an episode or two left - and although I am really enjoying parts of it, other aspects seem to be a bit, well, all over the place. Except, I don't get the feeling that that is any fault of the actors or director, and simply a fault of the original work (I haven't read it though). A few of the characters (especially Ms. Schlegel's brother) are absolutely insufferable, and I can't stand their scenes. Hayley is wonderful though, and I am enjoying Matthew McFadyen and Philippa Coulthard in their roles as well. We'll see how I react to the ending this time...

screenertv.com

Outlander - season 1 (rewatch)
I needed something swoon-worthy. Honestly, one day I just didn't feel overly motivated and wanted to watch something that would just make me happy, and I went for Outlander. I've watched about 3/4 of the first season, and I might finish it, or I might not. I'm not worried - I've seen it more than once, and read the book. But it is just as good this time around.



Finished Watching:


whats-on-netflix.com
Frontier - season 3
Wonderful. I think this show is unfortunately over (why does everyone keep cancelling my shows??), but I'm glad it got to this point. The story arc was decent, but unfortunately a few things I wanted to get resolved didn't (partially because one actor didn't return for this season...*cough* Evan Jonigkeit *cough*). Jason Momoa and Zoe Boyle did fantastic as usual, but I was especially impressed and in love with both Allan Hawco and Lyla Porter-Follows (who it just now occurred to me that she might be related to Megan Follows...and I have looked it up and it is true. Mild joyful screaming). Anyway, great show, I would definitely recommend it. It's basically the Canadian history version of Game of Thrones.

netflix.com
Dark - season 1
This show was fantastic. Honestly, I really enjoyed it. It took me quite a bit to finish it because it's not an easy show to get through, but I think it was well worth it. I chose to watch it in its original German with English subtitles, and that with its dark and convoluted subject matter meant that I avoided watching it when things were stressful or super hectic for me. I'm excited for season 2, but I'm not sure if I'll start it right away, or wait a little bit. It got super messed up though, and I love that!

----------------------
Uh...so I picked a lot of period dramas again. Is anyone actually shocked? 

4 comments:

  1. I've been mostly catching up on movies but I think I have Dark on my watch list.

    Karen @ For What It's worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you have the time to devote to it, I would definitely recommend it!

      Delete
  2. I absolutely love Hayley Atwell! I always love the changes to your blog design! <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's the best!
      And thank you, I really like how it has turned out.

      Delete