Sunday, June 21, 2020

Mini-Reviews: Call Me By Your Name, Bohemian Rhapsody, The Jane Austen Book Club

Welcome once again to the portion of the blog where I talk about some movies I've been watching! Some movies I simply don't feel motivated to write a full review on (or life gets busy!) but I still want to share my thoughts with you. So, here are a few things I've seen lately and how I felt about them!

tiff.net

Call Me By Your Name
Wow. I put off watching this one for a while because I thought it might have been popular because of the cast or subject matter rather than its own merit. Well, I was wrong. No, it's not perfect, but I definitely found it had a real impact on me to the point that I actually cried at one scene. My only previous experience with Timothée Chalamet had been in Lady Bird, and I hadn't watched anything with Armie Hammer in it, so this was a great way to get to know them better as actors. I would definitely recommend this one. It isn't overwhelmingly dramatic, and there isn't a lot going on in terms of action, but it's lovely nonetheless. I did have one or two moments where I wasn't really a fan of how they shot things/the content, but as far as I am aware they were true to the book for these things, so it's not really a fault of the film.

empireonline.com

The Jane Austen Book Club
Passable. Honestly, it was pretty lackluster for me. If you need something nice for an afternoon, then it is fine. It has a few cute things, but I mostly just found that I couldn't get invested enough in any of the characters or their story arcs. I imagine this probably was a lot better as a book. I didn't even really feel that Jane Austen's books were all that important here - it almost could have been any author's works that they were discussing, even though there were a few parallels here and there.

zeenews.india.com

Bohemian Rhapsody
Mamma Mia! Another movie I put off watching for a while...I'm generally not a huge biopic fan - I often find them poorly acted and they feel overdramatized and closer to a soap opera than real life. I also grew up as a fan of Queen (not a super fan knowing all of their music, and everything about their lives, but they greatly impacted me). However, I did enjoy this one. Yes, it did focus on some aspects of the band's story more than others (and specifically Freddie), which was done to make it more commercially successful, but I liked it overall. It's not something I will go back and watch again and again, and it isn't perfect, but I am glad I finally saw it. Rami Malek does a great job, and I definitely would recommend it at least to watch his portrayal alone.
-----
An interesting mix of films this time around - can you tell my tastes are varied? What have you been watching?

5 comments:

  1. I've seen two of the movies you've mentioned here. Call Me By Your Name, I didn't like. I found it too melodramatic in a way, and I also thought it was wayyyy too problematic. The huge age gap between the two guys just didn't make me comfortable.

    I did however, love Bohemian Rhapsody! The music was great, and I definitely agree that Rami Malek did a fantastic job. He definitely deserved the Oscar for that role.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were definitely things I didn't enjoy about Call Me By Your Name for sure, but I did like the feel of it overall. I absolutely understand why it isn't for everyone!

      I'm glad you enjoyed Bohemian Rhapsody! Have you seen Rocketman by any chance?

      Delete
  2. Glad to know you like Queen! I'm a die-hard fan...which is why I didn't go and see the movie LOL. To be honest, I don't approve of biographical movies in general, because they take too many liberties with their source material (and I know for a fact that this one did too, even if it was approved by the surviving band members). Then again, I heard from younger friends who have seen it and felt inspired to look up and listen more of their music, so in that respect it was successful. And everyone commended Rami Malek's performance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A fan of both Billy Joel AND Queen? No wonder we get along ;)
    I absolutely understand that - I generally avoid anything that I am a die-hard fan of, and I definitely put this off for a long time (as you can tell). But yes, they did take quite a few liberties. I might avoid it (because if you know the real story, it will likely bother you), but anyone who knows a bit here and there or nothing much at all about them? I think it's absolutely a good place to begin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "A fan of both Billy Joel AND Queen? No wonder we get along ;)"
      LOL! I've loved Billy since I was a teen.

      Delete