Tuesday, September 12, 2023

TMST: Libraries - Online or In-Person?

 Tell Me Something Tuesday is a weekly feature started by the lovely Rainy Day Ramblings, and now hosted by a team of bloggers, Roberta @ Offbeat YA, Karen @ For What It's Worth, Berls @ Because Reading Is Better Than Real Life, Jen @ That's What I'm Talking About, and Linda @ Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell.


Libraries: do you prefer to visit in-person or check out on-line?

No contest for me this week - I am a browser through and though (and no, I don't mean Google Chrome...ha...ha...ha). Whether it's a bookstore, thrift store shelves of CDs, or you name it, I love to stare down the endless racks and shelves until my eyes hurt. 

Online content is great - I love it for when I'm going on a trip, or when I desperately want to read or watch something that is out in its physical copy, or when I'm feeling sick. Otherwise I love to make the time to go to the physical library. And yes, even though I'm been working in one for a long time, I still love going to them. Any time I'm in a different city, I love going to visit their library. I love large libraries, small county ones - you name it. Show me how you catalogue and classify, how you file, what types of resources you have for kids or students. I just can't get that kind of experience online.

I'm so happy that the online content exists - it's an incredible option to have, and makes things accessible to so many people, but I will keep the physical libraries alive for us all with my enthusiasm for them.

2 comments:

  1. I’m the opposite of you. I love ebooks and online library stuff due to some health issues I have.

    I can have allergic reactions to mold, mildew, dust, perfume, animal dander, and all sorts of other stuff that can be found in books and/or carried into libraries by other patrons.

    If I’m exposed to a big enough dose of them, I can have trouble breathing and/or have a migraine. So virtual books and events are much safer for me.

    I’m so glad libraries offer multiple ways to use them and that you have the opportunity to go in person! Everyone’s needs can be taken care of with all of these different options. :)

    Lydia Schoch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would definitely come into contact with so many of those things in a library, so I'm very glad you're able to have alternate ways to get books!

      Delete