Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Five Books I Read In School...Unfortunately

Inspired by The Broke and the Bookish's Top Ten Tuesday series (TTT), here are five books that I had to read throughout my years in school that I really did not enjoy. Fortunately there aren't many that I really didn't like as a whole. There are several that I started out not liking, but that grew on me, which I will likely feature in a future post. Please see the original post here: Back To School Freebie

1. Losing Joe's Place - Gordon Korman

Let's be honest, I wouldn't have liked this book no matter what, but it didn't particularly help that my teacher read it to us in eighth grade...and did voices for the characters.


2. The Other Side of the Bridge - Mary Lawson

Not a bad book overall, but studying a book with, well, little about it to study, is pretty darn dull and pointless.


3. The Outsiders - S. E. Hinton

Just no. I could not relate to this book, I could not stand the character names, I just could not stand this entire book.


4. Le petit Nicolas - Goscinny 

I had to read several of these stories in a compilation in French class when I was in my mid-teens. I don't know if they were supposed to be funny or endearing, but I found everyone whiny and in desperate need a good timeout.

5. Our Town - Thornton Wilder

I know this is a play, but I think it still counts. This is one of those pieces that I think I need to re-read as an adult, but I found it extremely dull in school. Dull enough that I remember almost falling asleep in class a few times. But, that teacher was brilliant, and I really agreed with his taste in several other pieces of literature, so he was likely on to something with Our Town as well.

------------------------
What books did you have to read in school that you disliked? Would you like to see a future post on books that I struggled to start, but ended up really enjoying?

No comments:

Post a Comment