Monday, September 4, 2017

Dystopian and Post-Apocalyptic Fiction For All Ages

I've loved dystopian fiction ever since I was about twelve years old, but unfortunately for me there wasn't that much out there for my age bracket. So I read what I could for my age, but quickly tried reading things above my level. In order to make things a little easier for people like me, or just for those looking for some other options, here is my list of decent to great examples of dystopian fiction. I'm only including ones that I personally have read and at least remotely enjoyed. Hope this helps!


Youth and Preteens


The Lorax (1971) Dr. Seuss
The Girl Who Owned a City (1975) O.T. Nelson
The Giver (1993) Lois Lowry
  • The Giver
  • Gathering Blue
  • Messenger
  • Son
The Wump World (1970) Bill Peet
The Last Book in the Universe (2000) Rodman Philbrick
The Transall Saga (1998) Gary Paulsen


Young Adult

The Bar Code Tattoo (2004) Suzanne Weyn
  • The Bar Code Tattoo
  • The Bar Code Rebellion
  • The Bar Code Prophecy

The Hunger Games (2008) Suzanne Collins
  • The Hunger Games
  • Catching Fire
  • Mockingjay

Divergent (2011) Veronica Roth
  • Divergent
  • Insurgent
  • Allegiant

The Chrysalids (1955) John Wyndham
Lord of the Flies (1954) William Golding
Green Angel (2003) Alice Hoffman

Adult

Brave New World (1932) Aldous Huxley
Animal Farm (1945) George Orwell
Nineteen Eighty-Four (1948) George Orwell
Fahrenheit 451 (1953) Ray Bradbury
The Day of the Triffids (1951) John Wyndham


Ones that didn't quite make the cut:
Never Let Me Go (2005) Kazuo Ishiguro

-------------------------
Which ones do you love? What are some other examples of dystopian fiction that you've enjoyed/What are some that I should read next?

No comments:

Post a Comment