Tuesday, January 22, 2019

TMST - Winter Blues

I haven't participated in one of these for a while, but I did want to talk about this one today because it definitely can affect us here in the blogging world as well. This week's Tell Me Something Tuesday by Rainy Day Ramblings is about beating the winter blues.


First thing's first - I live in Canada. For those not particularly aware of our climate...it's - 22℃ (about -7℉) where I live today. The skies are grey, and it is stupidly cold. In all honesty, I think most of us here suffer with the winter blues, or seasonal affective disorder at some point. So, what do we do about it? Here are some of the things I find can help.

1) Vitamin D, vitamin D, and more vitamin D. 
I can't stress how important this is. Not only is vitamin D important for the metabolism of many nutrients and for bone health, it is also something we get from sunlight. Trick my body into thinking there's sun (in a sense)? Sure, why not. Everyone is different, but I find it helps - and in moderation (of course), it keeps my body healthy.

2) Getting to sleep on time. 
Although always important, it feels harder and harder to maintain a proper sleeping routine during these cold months. I find that since it feels dark all of the time, my circadian rhythm is completely thrown. Trying to get to sleep at a good time needs to be a priority (but I fail at this more often than I care to admit).

3) Get fresh air and be active when you can.
Sometimes it's just too cold, and being outside makes me more miserable than it helps...but I walk to work most days, and it definitely helps wake me up and feel a bit better. Not a cure-all, but I get at least a little vitamin D this way too. If you can do something fun, or exercise inside (because I don't blame you for not wanting to venture out), that can also really help.


4) Smile and be pleasant.
Fake it until you make it. No, I'm not saying that you should hide your feelings from everyone, but making a concerted effort to smile when someone comes in the door, or says something to you can go a long way. I am not a morning person in the slightest, so this is my number one trick to getting the cobwebs out of my brain first thing each day.

5) Take advantage of productivity.
Today I feel okay, so I'm going to power through a few things. Tomorrow I also feel okay and can do a bit more. The next day I might barely want to get out of bed, so it's given me the breathing room to not do as much. This way I don't have to worry, can listen to my body, and do what's best for my mental and physical health that day without it weighing on me.

6) Eat dessert. 
No? Not a tip? Well, I think it is! Sometimes I just want dessert, and that usually is during the winter when I am tired and want to live on the couch under a blanket. I hardly eat it during the rest of the year. My policy is that everything is okay in moderation. So, since it's important to eat healthy (especially during cold season), if it motivates me to eat the good green stuff, then I see no issue with treating myself to a bit of dessert. Better to eat than not, I think.


--------
I could keep going, but those are my thoughts. Getting to this point in the year, I find it hard to want to blog, or to be able to focus long enough to finish a post. Queuing things is of paramount importance now for me (see tip 5). How do you keep yourself motivated during these months?

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your tips, Shayna. I totally need to eat more dessert. I have been focused on eating healthy and have been good about not eating junk food, but a little chocolate does wonders for the mood. I have had a couple of days where I pulled the cover over my head and slept extra just because I couldn’t deal with the day. We all need those mental health days every now and then!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know people think it's a ridiculous tip, but that's exactly right - a square or two of chocolate can definitely do more good than harm! And for me, I'm a huge fan of malted milk candy, which is a great source of iron ;)

      Delete
  2. Great tips! I also find myself leaning towards summery contemporary books over the winter to try and trick myself it's summer! XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that idea! I try not to read anything that is going to be a super hard read, or extra depressing in the winter because it affects me more.

      Delete