Sunday, January 6, 2019

2019 TBR Pile Challenge

Yes, I'm doing it again! Originally I had decided that there was no way I was going to do Roof Beam Reader's TBR Pile Challenge again, but when I started going through some of my books, I realized that I still have so many that I want to get through, and have for many years. Now I don't particularly mind if a book is a year or two old before I get around to reading it, but some of these I've wanted to read for about 10 years now...and I really want to finally get them off my TBR list!


So, how does this work?

Pick 12 books that have been on your TBR (to be read) list for at least a year and finish them by the end of 2019. Two alternate books can be chosen to replace any books in the challenge that are just "unfinishable". All of these books must be reviewed and linked back to the original post.  

For a full explanation of the rules for this challenge, check it out here.

Here's this year's list:

  1. The Cement Garden by Ian McEwan
  2. The War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells
  3. An Abundance of Katherines by John Green
  4. Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes
  5. Drums of Autumn by Diana Gabaldon
  6. Flipped by Wendelin Van Draanen
  7. Keturah and Lord Death by Martine Leavitt
  8. How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff
  9. The Trouble With Lichen by John Wyndham
  10. The Girl From the Other Side: Siúil A Rún, Volume 1 by Nagabe
  11. I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith
  12. Coraline by Neil Gaiman
Alternates:

  1. Where Rainbows End (Love, Rosie) - Cecelia Ahern
  2. Catalyst by Laurie Halse Anderson

Last year one of my issues was that I had included a few series onto this list, and then wanted to continue with them while I still had tons of other books to read. I've mostly avoided adding series to this year's list, save for two, to not have that problem again. So, here's my plan: finish my 12 books, and progress in those series. I've picked some shorter ones that I've hoped to read for a long time in order to be able to accomplish more. After I'm done with my schooling, I hope to be able to get through a few of the longer books that I want to read (rather than just one)!

------------
What books have  you been meaning to read for a really long time? Are you hoping to get any of them done this year?

7 comments:

  1. Ambitious!! I'd definitely recommend Where Rainbows End by Cecelia Ahern even though it's one of your alternates- it's amazing and really quick and easy to get through!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The funny thing is that I own it, and really want to read it, but it keeps making it on my alternate list because I watched the movie!

      Delete
    2. The movie's great as well! The book is a little different but it's really cool because the whole book is comprised of letters, emails, etc.

      Delete
  2. Nice list! I loved War of the Worlds. If you know it by the films, you will be surprised....so much better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to hear! I really like the storyline, but I am a bit concerned about the writing style. I found the plot for The Time Machine quite interesting, but sometimes Wells lost me a bit with his style.

      Delete
  3. I really liked Keturah and Lord Death! The kind of intrepid heroine one loves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've wanted to read it for so long! I'm glad I'll finally be getting around to it.

      Delete