Tuesday, September 10, 2019

Mini-Reviews: Clueless, Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, Age of Adaline, Then Came You

It's time for another round of mini-reviews! A few fun ones this time, I mostly kept things light except for the last review this time.

express.co.uk

Clueless
I actually watched Clueless! Although this was a huge cultural phenomenon for people of my age, I was never in the least bit interested in checking it out. When I heard it was actually based on Jane Austen's Emma, I thought about it briefly, but...Emma is hands-down my least favourite Austen work, so I still was hardly tempted. I decided to finally bite the bullet, and ended up enjoying it. It definitely wasn't my favourite movie, and there are some annoying aspects about it, but it also could be really cute (young Paul Rudd is a heartbreaker!). I likely wouldn't seek it out again, but I'm glad I checked it out. Basically, if you like Emma, then I would check this out, but if you despise it, then you're much safer staying away.

nospoilerreviews.com

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society
I remember hearing the title of this book a while back and thought it was just about the dumbest title I had ever heard. It sounded like a book that only the seniors were going to read, and that it would be about as dull as dust. And now I make my copious apologies. When I saw the trailer for the movie, I realized that I had gotten it 100% incorrect. I knew I wanted to watch it right away, and ended up really loving it! It's sweet and lovely, and both Lily James and Michiel Huisman are great to watch. If you're looking for a feel-good romance film that has some hardships along the way, then this is perfect.



rogerebert.com

The Age of Adaline
Once I finished watching Guernsey, I had a bit of an addiction to Michiel Huisman (kidding...okay, not kidding). Although Age of Adaline had been on my list for a while, I kept putting it off (because that is so unlike me), but after seeing Guernsey I wanted a) more Michiel, and b) a similar sort of movie. If you ignore the science (of which there is only a teensy, tiny bit), it's a nice movie. There's a little torment and heartache, and a dash of foolish decisions, a bit of crazy coincidences, and a bunch of swoons. I would definitely recommend it as a nice weekend movie that you'll get more invested in than you planned.

variety.com

Then Came You
Well, if you have even the slightest bit more sensitivity to sad things than myself, you will sob. In some ways, predictable, but also sweet and lovely, and real, this is more inspiring and fun than depressing, but with the important subject matter it doesn't remain 100% light. I definitely enjoyed it more than I thought I would, but it took me a little bit to get into it. Asa Butterfield is adorable in this one, and although Maisie Williams starts out irritating (her character), she definitely grows on you. Worth a watch!

----------
What have you been watching?

4 comments:

  1. I have seen Clueless a number of times and never made the connection to Emma. You learn something new everyday haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never seen Clueless but young Paul Rudd certainly has me convinced! XD

    ReplyDelete