Thursday, January 2, 2020

October to December 2019 Update

Although I watched several movies over the past few months, I didn't end up watching a lot of television! I decided to combine everything from October through December into one big post to share what I have been watching. Look out for some mini-reviews about the movies later on.

Started Watching:

kpbs.org
Poldark - season 2, 3, 4 (started and finished all)
I whipped through watching the series for a second time - watching most of three seasons in about a month. I continued watching season 5 as it aired each week. I really enjoyed this series, especially the first three seasons, and will absolutely be recommending it to people (you all included!)

whats-on-netflix.com
Frontier - season 3
I'm so glad this season is finally on Netflix! Basically, I watched the first two seasons on Netflix after being unable to catch them on television (I didn't know when they were airing). When I finished them, I had to wait a little while for season three to air. I ended up barely missing it...literally missed an episode or two, so I waited the whole time for it to show up on Netflix, and mildly lost my mind. BUT, I finally am getting to watch it. I'm about halfway through, so it shouldn't take me too long to finish it. It doesn't seem quite as good so far, but still enjoying it.

ccdiscovery.com
Anne with an E - randomly/season 3
Being rather a book purist, I find television adaptations of books are usually very difficult for me to get into. This show was no exception. Although I've never read Anne of Green Gables, I was always in love with the mini-series from the 1980s, and didn't handle very well anything that didn't invoke the same feelings. I didn't enjoy this at first. I watched random clips here and there, and couldn't really connect with it. Eventually I ended up watching random bits of season 2. It was, *shrug,* okay. Yet, I started watching clips of season 3 on YouTube...and then I started watching it on TV...and I got weirdly invested in it. Unfortunately it looks like they won't be returning for a fourth season...but at least I got the satisfaction from the last episode that I wanted - one positive!


Finished Watching:


pbs.org
Poldark - season 5
Now, season 5 was the only season not based around the books, and instead is invented by the writers as an explanation for what happened during a time gap in the books. To me, it was the hands-down worst season, and was very disappointing. There were a few decent elements, but otherwise it didn't work. I mean, when the focus on most of the season is people other than the Poldark family, and the show is literally named Poldark, you can guess it won't go well. A great series, but a poor end.
----------------------
I'm hoping to get back on track with my monthly update posts, so ideally January will bring with it lots of new shows for me! I am one episode away from having another entry on the "finished" list, but I guess that will have to wait!...I've just noticed that everything on this list is a period drama.

4 comments:

  1. Ha! I don't watch period dramas, while I'm a huge fan of police procedural, sci-fi and supernatural series...but I like to read what you've been up to 😉.

    "I mean, when the focus on most of the season is people other than the Poldark family, and the show is literally named Poldark, you can guess it won't go well."
    That's just common sense, I guess...and why did they have to invent anything, for goodness' sake? I hate it when TV/movies take liberties with canon...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to watch a lot of police and crime shows!

      Right? I don't even know what they were thinking. If it was a different show, the season would have been passable, but connected to the other seasons it was really poorly done.

      Delete
  2. I hope to get into Anne with an E soon. I was also really into the 80’s mini series, and reading the book recently has made me really intrigued by the story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes A LOT of changes, so be forewarned! Now that I know I like where it ends up, I might go back and watch the earlier seasons

      Delete