Tuesday, January 7, 2020

2019 TBR Challenge - Wrap-Up

Now that 2019 has come to a close, I want to update you all on how I did on my TBR Challenge for the year. This challenge is held by Adam @ Roof Beam Reader, and although I didn't do the best in the world this year, it's helped me out a lot.

What am I talking about? Here's the link to my original post about the challenge, which includes a list of all of the books I hoped to get through, and links to the related reviews.




So, I got through 6 out of 12, and am mostly through the 7th.
I have been able to blog about all 6 of them as well, which was probably the biggest struggle for me this year.

Unfortunately, Adam won't be hosting this fun challenge for 2020, but that's okay - I can always do one independently. I'm really proud of how I have done the past two years on this challenge. Last year, I barely squeaked through being able to finish all of my books. This year, although I only got about half way through, I still was able to complete 6 books that I hadn't been able to touch for a long time. So, in two years I have finished 18 books that I couldn't get myself to finish - I'm totally okay with that. I'm going to try and read in 2020 with less pressure though, so I think I might write up a few "goal books" but not force myself to read them if it just isn't working out for me.

So, here are my goal reads for 2020:

The Queen of Air and Darkness - Cassandra Clare
Chain of Gold - Cassandra Clare
War of the Worlds - H.G. Wells
Tuesdays With Morrie - Mitch Albom
Tales from the White Hart - Arthur C. Clarke
Silas Marner - Thomas Hardy
Jamaica Inn - Daphne Du Maurier

I've been trying to get through more classics and science fiction, which are two of my favourite genres/categories. I collect these sorts of titles, but sometimes find it hard to make myself finally pick them up!

-----------------
Do you have any goal reads for 2020? How do you set your goals? Why did you pick what you did?

4 comments:

  1. I really loved Tuesday’s with Morrie! I had to read it in high school and it was impactful even then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! It's also nice and short, which means it should be pretty easy for me to get through when I'm not the most motivated (aka winter). Have you read any of Albom's other books? I read The Five People You Meet in Heaven and its sequel, and I overall enjoyed those.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still haven't read Queen of Air and Darkness either! Let me know if it's any good!
    I'm not going to put too much pressure on myself for reading a certain amount of books this year- I have a loose goal of 50 but I'm not going to stress too much if I don't reach it.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely will! Remember when I had that problem with my pre-order of it? Then I started on Kingdom of Ash and couldn't get back the motivation to pick it up. I'm finally going to do it though, because I love the characters so much.
      And good, I'm doing a similar thing. We'll have to remind each other not to stress about it, I'm sure ;)

      Delete