Saturday, March 21, 2020

Library Life: Do We Judge You?


The short answer is no.
But the long answer...?




- Sometimes I notice what you check out, sometimes I don't. The longer you take to be prepared, more I notice about your books. If you are embarrassed about what you are checking out, I would suggest having your card ready before you come to the counter (or use a self-checkout option if it is available to you). I have had people comment on their items, and then I actually have to look at them to understand why they are commenting, haha.

- I know my regular's hold slip codes. That doesn't mean I check what you have on hold, only that I know you have holds because I had to interfile other holds nearby.

- Reading is reading. I'm so happy you are doing it, and I don't care what you read. Everyone needs something to de-stress - perhaps you like to do that by reading harlequin romances in the same way I like YA fantasy-romances or Jane Austen movies. I just get scared if you tell me the harlequin book is the best writing you have experienced. That just makes me sad.

- You don't have to justify your items to me. Can I repeat this a hundred times? I'm so sorry you feel like you have to explain why you are taking out a Disney movie or "girly book". I don't need you to tell me it's for a class, or your girlfriend, or grandchildren. I promise you that it's okay if that is true, but it's also okay if it's just for you.

- At the same time, I will put two and two together. If you are changing your address and are checking out a book on relationship strengthening techniques, I can safely assume your marriage is in a difficult patch. I notice, but I won't gossip or bother you about it. This is a safe zone.

--------------
Basically, what I can say the takeaway is here, is that, although I may or may not notice what you are checking out, I'm not really paying attention to it. I might laugh at a terrible book title, but I don't think anything of you reading it. Heck, I've read a few Captain Underpants books. I'm really not about to start judging you!

6 comments:

  1. It’s amazing how you can pick up on things just from what a person is checking out. I guess you can tell a lot from a person based on what they read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really can! But you have to be careful with this too. Someone could be taking out a bunch of items for research purposes/curiosity too, or for a friend who feels uncomfortable checking things out. So it's something that we make sure not to judge people on, or assume about them.

      Delete
  2. Haha, that Captain Underpants comment.

    I understand people feeling self-conscious about their reading of choice. We're so used to being judged these days. There are people who seem to thrive on passing judgment on others. I hope all librarians are like you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, and it's such a shame. I'm guilty of it too sometimes - I used to feel really embarrassed telling people I loved reading teen books. I'm a lot better about it, but sometimes I still feel self-conscious.

      Delete
  3. It's so sad that we feel the need to justify what we read. There's such variety and a book for every mood and period in life. Some days it's Captain Underpants and some days it's Shakespeare lol

    Karen @ For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! I absolutely adore Jane Eyre and Shakespeare, and all of these "literary" things, but I also am the first person to recommend body humour books to reluctant readers, and laugh at the book "Wedgieman"

      Delete