Saturday, December 26, 2020

Mini-Reviews: As You Like It, Lorna Doone, Waitress

themoviescreenscene.wordpress.com


As You Like It
I'm rather confused as to why they decided to set this in feudal Japan... it is barely important in the overall look or feel of the movie, and really doesn't seem to serve any purpose. The music is absolutely gorgeous though, and fits absolutely perfectly with how the rest of the adaptation has been done. It uses Shakespearean English, and is overall good. If you like other Ken Brannagh adaptations, it definitely fits his style, and I would recommend it. If you're not a particular fan of his work, then I don't think this one is anything to write home about. It passed the time.

imdb.com

Lorna Doone (1990)
I almost stopped watching this more than once, but decided to power through. Honestly, I just couldn't get into it. I love Sean Bean, but have never really cared for Clive Owen, and this movie did nothing to change that. It felt very slow, and I really didn't get the point of it much. The plot was fine, and I do plan to watch another adaptation in the future, but this really didn't catch my interest.

variety.com

Waitress
I was interested in the musical, and had been casually considering watching this movie for a while. Although there are a few themes that I don't particularly like to watch (cheating, and abuse), I did overall like this movie. It was a cute time passer, and Keri Russell is great. If you can get past those things, then I would recommend it, but otherwise I might give it a pass if you are sensitive to those topics.

----------------
Have you seen any of these? What about the Waitress musical?

2 comments:

  1. "I'm rather confused as to why they decided to set this in feudal Japan".
    😶 To randomly spice things up, I assume...

    BTW, welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess so...I find that Branagh tends to do that with his work, and I don't really appreciate it. It just feels like it is to be different rather than for a real purpose.

      Thank you! Probably movie reviews and lists for a little while until I get back in the groove of things.

      Delete