Monday, January 11, 2021

Period Drama: The Queen's Gambit

 

denofgeek.com

I feel like I need to just write this at the beginning of half of my reviews, but, "I originally avoided this one." I really enjoy chess, and used to play it a lot in my youth, but haven't really had too many opportunities to pick it up again since I was a teenager. Although I was interested in the concept of this Netflix Original, it got a lot of hype, and quickly. I worried that it would be either: too glossy and not truly focused on chess at all, or too much of a stereotype. I am thrilled to report that I didn't find either of these things to be true.

Is it historically accurate? I don't know, but it looks good enough that I didn't see any necessarily glaring errors. There were a few times where I questioned whether or not a look was accurate, but since this isn't a time period I know a lot about (although I wear some 60s-inspired dresses!), I can't comment on them properly.

Handling brilliance, fears of madness, and struggles with addiction, as well as being a woman in a man's world, this show hit home for me in many ways. I finished the short run of 7 episodes in about 4 days. It could have stretched to 9 episodes quite happily I think, but I also really appreciated that it wasn't drawn out. They sped through aspects of the chess matches at the right moments, but also kept enough chess information in there that those who understand the game and love it can follow important moments, but those who don't know it, or do not wish to be bombarded with detail can comfortably watch as well.

Definitely would recommend it, and I'm sure I'll watch it again!

------------

Have you seen The Queen's Gambit, or perhaps have read the book? Do you like chess?

2 comments:

  1. I avoided this one too but once we started watching we were hooked!

    It was beautifully shot and smart.

    Karen @ For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! I was really impressed with it, and look forward to watching it again in the future to see what I missed ;)

      Delete