Tuesday, July 4, 2017

Blog-Along: Wolf Hall, Episode 2 - Entirely Beloved

Since I had so much fun with my blog-along or Episode 1 of Wolf Hall, I thought I'd continue on with Episode 2. If you haven't read my thoughts about Episode 1 - Three Card Trick, check it out here: Wolf Hall, Episode 1. Once again, I will be editing everything to avoid spoilers and to make things a bit more concise, but it will mostly be my thoughts as I have them.


Wolf Hall, Episode 2 - Entirely Beloved



pbs.org


           Play by Play


  • Gregory, can't say I'm your biggest fan right now. You seem a bit wimpy and unintelligent at the moment, but I guess we'll see.
  • Is the housekeeper his sister-in-law? Or were they in the same household? Seems like sister-in-law. Uh...did she just essentially say she's a lesbian? We at least know she isn't into her husband. Well, that was an awkward conversation
  • Time stamp 14:15: Oooh fascinating! Henry just got very interesting
  • Chapuys, you naughty man. Be careful with your thoughts, or you'll be branded a heretic
  • Does that mean Cromwell and Anne get to become besties now?
  • Gregory got some new puppies it seems. Are we perhaps a little spoiled? Your greyhounds are the wrong colour, so you get new ones?
  • Okay, why the hell does this dude have a bunny? And now, we pass along the bunny to another poor sot who must carry it for some unknown reason. Apparently it's random animals day because there is also a monkey. Thomas More is crazy.
  • Okay, excuse me. So, the Fool is being well, foolish (pardon me), and we blame his diet?
  • "Alice, what have I told you about drinking wine? Your nose is glowing" Well, that's one way to tell your wife to shut up
  • Cromwell is looking rather swanky today. Looking like someone got a new wardrobe this episode. More than one outfit this time.
  • Although one part of me likes the interaction between Mary Boleyn and Cromwell, it also feels rather sudden. As far as we are aware, they have met once, and in a very short dose.
  • Utopia (by Thomas More) reference!
  • You took the paper. Why did you take the paper? You were specifically told not to do these sorts of things. Good to know that others thing Anne is ridiculous though. She's driving me a bit nuts.
  • Oh my goodness, did I get it wrong? She's not a lesbian, but has the hots for Cromwell instead? The drama is getting juicy...not.
  • I'm impressed, but also a bit surprised that Cromwell is able to speak to the king as he is without penalty. He could get in serious trouble for his opinions, but I suppose it helps he is respected. Ah, well you've earned your tongue now. Cromwell, the ultimate pillar of strength. How would any of them survive without you?
  • Time stamp: 54:36: the look on Percy's face! "Um, what do I do now? He walked away!"
  • Remember their faces, Cromwell. Remember the players

         Conclusion


Ending on a sad note, the last 15 minutes of the episode were the highlights for me. I felt most of the episode was rather dry, and a bit less exciting than the previous episode. Not a great sign if things are going downhill by the second episode (jeez, at least wait until the third!). Definitely all about the political again, and if you weren't into the first episode but decided to hang in there to give this a try, I'm going to assume you have likely given up now. Still, not saying that this show is bad. It feels historically accurate as a general rule, but is very much like a history book in visual form. Many characters are never clearly introduced (or their names are used so rarely that you have IMDB up beside you to check who is who) that it makes things a bit confusing to sort out. It doesn't help that everyone is named Thomas or Henry/Harry.
I definitely have to say at the moment that Anne is driving me nuts. This is particularly irritating since I find her character so interesting usually. I have no issues with her fierceness or stubbornness. I do though find "Cremwell" still extremely irritating and unnecessary. I understand that she spent time in France, and that she uses her accent for a purpose when she deems it fit - but why does she think this is a good time? Her motives are never clear (but not in a way that seems "mysterious", just not thought out).
Good points, now. Costumes are beautiful, scenery is beautiful, and it feels accurate. I am not distracted from the complexities of the storyline because I am ranting about how V-necks weren't in fashion in the 1500s. Thank goodness, because I am so sick of inaccuracies that could be easily avoided if someone cared to research for 15 seconds. Henry feels believable as a character here. We can see his doubts and demons, and also the generosity and amiability that made him so likable to so many. Henry had some brutal and horrible traits, but it is important not to villainize him - he helped England prosper, and was quite the charmer in his younger years. I would have liked to have seen more of Queen Catherine, but that is simply a personal wish and nothing against the series.
I will continue to watch the series, but I highly doubt that those not as well-versed in or obsessed with this time period will be begging for a third episode.

No comments:

Post a Comment