Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Favourite Five - Jane Austen Characters

I've decided from time to time it would be fun to take a look at five of my favourites from various categories. So, what better way to start this new series than by looking at some of my favourite characters from Jane Austen novels? In no particular order, here are five of the characters I absolutely adore:



becomingjane.blogspot.ca
1. Fanny Price

Although not always a popular choice, even among Janeites, I love Mansfield Park's Fanny Price. I may be a bit biased here, as Mansfield Park was my first Austen read, but I love her nonetheless. I admire her morality, her kindness, and her self-sacrifice. No matter what happens, or how people treat her, Fanny sticks to what she believes in - a truly commendable trait. It's a shame that there hasn't been a film version yet to do her justice.


austenprose.com

2. Anne Elliot

Oh, Anne, how I adore thee. Anne is probably the Austen heroine I most relate to. She truly is the black sheep of her family, and although feels very deeply, she rarely shares her feelings with anyone. Her feelings and struggles were ones I instantly connected with. She has a quiet brilliance and confidence that is rarely appreciated. I really like how Anne is portrayed in both the 1995 and 2007 versions.






mysunkissedfarm.wordpress.com
3. Mr. Fitzwilliam Darcy
It was probably pretty easy to predict that this gentleman would be on here! Even though Ms. Austen doesn't give us the perspective of her male characters, I always figured that Mr. Darcy and I would have quite a bit in common (well, if I was living in the Regency era...you know what I mean!). Private, proud, and brooding, but with deep feelings, what is not to love about him? Yes, okay, he has flaws, but I find him wonderful regardless.

4. Frederick Wentworth

ladyofanorien.blogspot.ca
Can we just take a moment to appreciate a man who is still in love with the woman who rejected him eight and a half years earlier? Although Wentworth's pride is hurt and he makes some foolish mistakes, I love his passion and gentleness, and the pains he takes to make sure Anne is taken care of (even if he tries to do it unnoticed). I find him overall a thoroughly relateable character. Although I enjoy many aspects of CiarĂ n Hinds's portrayal (1995), I overall prefer Rupert Penry-Jones (2007) in the role.


5. Elinor Dashwood
austenonly.com
Last on the list, but by no means any less loveable, is Elinor. If you can't tell yet, I love the characters who suffer in silence. Elinor's silence is one of the things that makes her the most admirable. She is so close to her sister, but she cannot share the thing that is pressing the most on her. Yet with all of this going on, she is still an incredible friend, and wonderfully supportive sister, and is keeping the entire household together. If that isn't the mark of an amazing women, I don't know what is! Portrayed beautifully by both Emma Thompson (1995) and Hattie Morahan (2008), she is an incredible character to experience in any version.


Who are your favourites, and why? Do you have any movie versions that you prefer them in? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

No comments:

Post a Comment