Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Favourite Stories I Will Likely Never Read

Sorry guys, throwing this one together this week! I decided last minute to do this one (but twisted up again), so I'm scrambling to finish it before I drop from exhaustion. Merci beaucoup That Artsy Reader Girl for this topic (even though I am not exactly using it once again haha). This week's topic was Books I Liked But Will Never Re-read, but since I am unlikely to for sure not read them again (or at least skim through them heavily), I decided to do books where I love the stories (whether from knowing abridged versions, movies, etc.) but think it is highly unlikely I will actually read the source material.



1) Les Misérables - Victor Hugo
Why? Great musical, super long book

2) Great Expectations - Charles Dickens
I've tried reading Dickens, and I start falling asleep.

3) Shogun - James Clavell
Fantastic look at 1600s Japan that was made into a mini-series...but it is over 1000 pages

4) War and Peace - Leo Tolstoy
Okay, this is a maybe. I recently got introduced to the actual  storyline and not my perception of it from the teensy bits I heard. Anyway, I watched the 2016 mini-series and fell in love with it. So, if I feel really adventurous, it will happen, otherwise...not.

5) The Last of the Mohicans - James Fenimore Cooper
Watch the 1992 movie. The music is some of the best you will hear in a movie, ever. And Daniel Day-Lewis looks absolutely beautiful here. Trust me.



6) Kidnapped - Robert Louis Stevenson
Guilty moment...I've only read the kid's version. I loved it, but it isn't high on my list as a "re-read"

7) The Lord of the Rings series - J. R. R. Tolkien
Another maybe. I love the movies, and the lore always sounds fantastic, but I'm so worried that this is going to be a massive slog that I just can't bring myself to do it.

8) A Song of Ice and Fire series - George R. R. Martin
Do I have some problem with guys with double R initials? Nope, but same basic reason as for number 7.

9) Forrest Gump - Winston Groom
Great movie, but I think a lot of its charm comes from it being on screen and with Tom Hanks.

10) The Once and Future King - T. H. White
I'm a huge fan of Arthurian legends, but I'm almost too big of a fan because I am extremely picky about what I think is "accurate" for certain characters. I'm hesitant to read an entire book where I might not like a character's story arc.

10 comments:

  1. If I had managed to get all the way through Les Miserables I don't think I'd be able to reread it. Such a long book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read A Game of Thrones last year (or maybe the year before) and I totally understand where you're coming from here (and with the LOTR series). There is just so much information in these books! Now, The Hobbit I could probably read over and over again, but it's not as epic as the others.

    Here is our Top Ten Tuesday. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I own A Game of Thrones, so I hopefully will read it at some point, but I am also partially hesitant to start it before Martin finishes writing it...

      Delete
  3. War and Peace is very long but very worth it! And even though there are more books, I think the Game of Thrones series is an easier read than LOTR. There's so much drama that they move faster than you think!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to know about both! I was surprised at how in love I fell with the story for War and Peace, so hopefully one day!

      Delete
  4. I like your twist on the topic. There are a lot of classics that I know from movies and cultural references, but I have no desire to read them. Lord of the Rings is definitely one of those.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Me too, absolutely. Some other interesting ones for me (that I have zero interest in reading at this time) are A Passage to India, Dracula, and Gone With the Wind.

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of these days I'm going to have to see what the Forrest Gump book is like.

    Lauren @ Always Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard it doesn't have the charm of the movie, but if you do pick it up, please let me know!

      Delete