Tuesday, November 20, 2018

YA in Review: The Maze Runner (James Dashner)

This post will essentially be Spoiler Free, however comments by other users may possibly contain information that spoils portions of the plot, so read at them your own risk. This book is the eighth one that I've completed for my 2018 TBR Challenge. I'm getting there!

chapters.indigo.ca

What it's about:

Thomas wakes up suddenly in a box, being transported underground, and has absolutely no memory of how he got there or his life before that very moment. The only thing he remembers is his name. When he finally sees the surface, an area know as the Glade, he meets a group of boys who all have a similar story. He learns that each has their own role to contribute, from farmers to cooks, and the elite group of maze runners who explore the labyrinth surrounding the Glade - trying to discover the secrets to help them get free. But Thomas is different - he gets the feeling that he's been here before, and unlike the others, knows he needs to explore the maze, no matter the dangers. And when only days later the first and only girl arrives, they know that nothing they have come to rely on will ever be the same again.


Why it's worth a read:
  • Loaded with action and mystery, it's a jam-packed story that will keep you on your toes.
  • Although it is science fiction, it feels a bit harder to define the genre of this book, so fans of many styles will enjoy it.
  • Great concept, definitely one of the more original ones, so you won't feel as though you've read this kind of book a hundred times.
  • You spend most of the book questioning what is going on. This is perfect, since the main character has no idea either. It makes it quite believable and makes you want to keep going.
  • It ends in a great cliffhanger, that causes you to have even more questions than before, and minimal answers. You just feel like you're about to make sense of things when more unexpected parts get thrown in.
Where it disappoints:
  • Reading this as an adult, there are a few twists that are pretty predictable. That doesn't mean they are bad, but they are pretty typical of YA fiction. If you're looking for a novel that will surprise you, this won't likely do that at every moment, but it isn't wholly predictable.
  • Dashner really likes to use a few words when describing actions. "Spittle" flying everywhere is pretty common, and this gets a little tiring after a while. Characters also hurl or feel like hurling several times as well.
  • Several of the names are weird. Yes, they justify them eventually, but they are still weird.
  • If you are sensitive to violence or profanity (although the profane words are altered into their own slang), then I would avoid it. These are main portions of the book that you won't really be able to get away from.
Final Thoughts:

Yes, there were a few things that bothered me with this book, but overall I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. I did see a good chunk of the movie a few years back, so I vaguely remembered the major plot spoilers, but I didn't know them in full detail, and got to enjoy them all over again. I actually avoided this one for a while (although it was on my TBR forever) because it was overhyped for a while and I thought that I really wouldn't enjoy it that much. It was a pleasant surprise, and I will likely try the next one in the series sometime soon.

2 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed it! I remember the second book in the series being my favourite and the third being my least favourite. Would love to hear your thoughts on them!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to sort out which book series to continue next year, and this one is definitely on there.

      Delete