Monday, November 5, 2018

Fireworks Book Tag!


As Clare from The Regal Critiques reminded me, it's Bonfire Night (or as many of us in Canada know it as, Guy Fawkes Day). So, I'm grabbing this tag from her, which she originally found here.

Screamers: A book that made you want to scream (in a good or bad way)

Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier. I legitimately screamed when I read the ending, and proceeded to start back at the beginning instantly. This is one of those book where the beginning occurs after the end, and the whole thing is a memory. Anyway, if you haven't read this one, the ending is divine.

Bombers: A book that you read before it "exploded" in the book community
Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher. I read this maybe two years after it came out? Regardless, it wasn't one I had really heard that much about at the time. But now there's a show, and everyone and their dog knows about it.

Banger: A banned book you've read
So many. I feel like a lot of my favourite books can be determined by looking at a banned book list. Let me see...The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde. I love the "banned" content of this book so much that when I realized that they had released the original, uncensored version, I instantly sought after a copy.


Peony: A book/author you think everyone needs to read
The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry. I never really got into this book as a child, but when I read it in French when I was 17, it had such a profound effect on me that I want to recommend it to everyone. I haven't read it in English since (although I have read some quotes, and they don't translate as well), but I think that the heart of it must be the same, and similar enough that it's worth a read. But, if you read French, please pick it up in its original language.

Crossette: A book/series with a complicated plot
Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. At first it seems simple, a women goes back in time to the Scotland of 1743...and it doesn't take long until this series spreads across about five different genres and becomes something entirely its own.

Diadem: A book/series with an amazing set of central characters
The Infernal Devices series by Cassandra Clare. In all honesty, I could have also picked The Mortal Instruments or The Dark Artifices for this, but I really love the dynamics between everyone living in The Institute in TID. Each person is a really well-rounded character, and bring so much to the story.

5 comments:

  1. Haha, I haven't read 13 Reasons Why - and I don't feel the need to, to be honest...I used to have it on my TBR list, but some reviews discouraged me. It sounded like it romanticised suicide, which I'm NOT on board for.

    Is it so bad that I've never read Dorian Gray? And there's an uncensored version now? I didn't even know the original was censored. It makes sense though, since I happened to read a handful of Christopher Pike YA books in English after reading them in Italian, and even THOSE had been edited. Not even only the slightly "sexy" bits. Huh.

    I read The Little Prince in Italian (and I can't read French, so...). Simple but profound.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (About the Pike books - I meant I discovered that they had been edited in the Italian version).

      Delete
    2. I personally never felt like the book romanticized or glorified suicide, but I don't know that I feel the same way about the show. In all honesty, I was pretty against the show when I heard it was in the works, and the more I hear about it, the less I am okay with it.

      Dorian Gray definitely isn't for everyone! I loved it, but there were definitely a few parts that could have used an edit...but apparently I want to read a longer version anyway! It's weird what they censor and change, eh?
      Italian is much more similar to French than English is, so I'm sure The Little Prince translated well!

      Delete
  2. I was totally the same with Thirteen Reasons Why! I love the book and haven't even seen the show (damn Netflix again...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From everything I've heard about the show, I'm intentionally staying away from it actually! It doesn't sound quite right for me personally.
      Glad to know we got the chance to read it "first"!

      Delete