Monday, December 31, 2018

December 2018 Update

It's the final day of the year, and time for an end-of -the-year update! Here's what I've been watching this month, and a little bit about what's going on with me.

Started Watching:


radiotimes.com
My Mother and Other Strangers - season 1 - started and finished
Wow. I almost want to do an entire review post on this show, because I was blown away. It absolutely isn't for everyone, but I couldn't get enough. Only 5 episodes, it watches more like a mini-series than a television show. Centered around the Coyne family in the small parish of Moybeg during WWII, it looks at childhood, growing up, family tensions, fidelity, and all manner of things. How can they handle this all in 5 episodes? Hah, just watch! Not only that, but the pacing actually feels slow (something that I particularly like, but many might find boring). I started watching this when it first aired, but was unable to continue it at the time and only got around to it again now. Okay, stop babbling, Shayna.

variety.com
Frontier - season 2 - started and finished
What a great month for me - this season of Frontier was just as fantastic as the first. Actually, I think it might have been even better. A bunch of dramatic situations reach a climax during this season, so there is quite a bit going on. And if the cliffhanger doesn't get you...well, I have no idea what will.

Movies:

jamesmurrayfans.livejournal.com
Under the Greenwood Tree
After finishing up the book, I knew I wanted to finally watch the movie. It's so different in almost every way...but I actually didn't mind. I thought it was cute and sweet, frustrating and intense at moments, and overall just a lovely watch in the evening. So, if you can accept the movie for purely what it is - a classic period drama that is simple and innocent, then you will enjoy it. But if you're looking for a masterpiece, or something faithful to the book, steer clear.

countryliving.com
Dumplin'
Now, I haven't read the book, so I can't attest to the accuracy of the movie, but I really enjoyed it. It was sweet and inspiring, and real. Yes, it has a few things happen that are improbable and unlikely, but it never feels like "no, that could never happen". It was refreshing, and a really great watch. Definitely would recommend it!

netflix.com
The Christmas Inheritance
Do you love stereotypical holiday movies? Here is another one! Haha, I am jesting a bit, but there isn't really anything new or different about this one. It's decently acted, and an overall nice enough story. If you are a big fan or holiday movies, then you will probably like this one. If you are ambivalent about them, this one won't push you one way or another, and if you hate them, it won't convert you.

Looking Forward To:

Queen of Air and Darkness
So, not so funny story...If you've been following me for a bit, you'll know that not only am I obsessed with the Shadowhunter Chronicles by Cassandra Clare, but I have been insanely waiting for this book to come out. I pre-ordered it months and months and months ago, and was waiting painfully for the December 4th release date. Then there was a postal strike. And so, even though the strike ended weeks ago, I still have not received my book in the mail. I've been considering just going to Chapters and purchasing another copy (which is now cheaper than when I ordered it), but I have been conflicted.

Kingdom of Ash
Shayna, this has also been out for forever now, what are you doing? Well, I was finishing up the last of my books for my TBR Challenge when it came out, and then I was in exams, and then I put it off a little because I figured I would get QoAaD any day...and  then I didn't. So, I'm kind of in limbo at the moment. I might start this soon, we'll see!

Victoria Season III
It starts up in a couple weeks! I got season 2 for Christmas, so I'm hoping to watch that (or at least the last few episodes) as a quick refresher before the new season. I love how they've portrayed Victoria and Albert, and there are so many rich characters and storylines in this series. If you love British royal history or costume dramas, I would really encourage you to check this out.
----------------------
January will be a heavy reading month for sure! Let me know if there are any shows or movies I should be sure to check out when I'm not reading!

6 comments:

  1. I haven't watched the shows or movies you're talking about (not my thing really - I'm all for police procedural or sci-fi, except Supernatural of course 😃), but I did watch a short snippet of Victoria because of Jenna Coleman (whom I loved in Doctor Who), and she SO looks the part. Even in DW, she did a couple of episodes in costume, and it suited her so much. Also...she can act.

    That's unfortunate about QoAaD, especially since you preordered it so far ahead. It doesn't make sense that you still haven't received it, what with the strike ending a while ago. Did you try and track your parcel?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, and of course...Happy New Year! Stupid me LOL.

      Delete
    2. Jenna Coleman is great! I watch DW from time to time and always liked her.
      Yep, my book is apparently in the next city over...but has been for nearly a month now.
      Happy New Year to you as well! Let's have a fantastic 2019, okay?

      Delete
  2. Read Kingdom of Ash!!! I beg you, please!!!!!

    ReplyDelete