Thursday, April 29, 2021

All About Series

Book series are so popular, that many libraries and bookstores have sections devoted specifically to them, yet, not all series are created equal. Just because you like one type of series, doesn't mean you are guaranteed to like another style of them. There are three types of series I'm going to talk a bit about today:

Ordered Series

Unordered/Standalone Series

Companion Novels

--------------------------

Ordered Series

These books refer to any series that you have to start with an official "book 1" to get the full experience. This means that, although you could perhaps garble along if you picked up a later book, most of the plot details are not summarized in later books, and you are likely to be horribly lost. This is the most popular type for Young Adult literature, and most standard fiction (aka the beloved trilogy).


Unordered/Standalone Series

Most popular for mysteries and crime fiction, and very common for middle grade readers, this type of series contains books that can be read in any order. Although it is often recommended to start with the first published book and then continue however you choose, enough details are filled in in following installments that you can pick these up at whatever time and find a comfortable to follow book. You might find a few extra connecting elements should you choose to read these in order, however that truly depends on each book series individually, and is more of a "bonus" to a dedicated reader rather than a lost element to the casual one.


Companion Novels

Love them or hate them, this is perhaps the most elusive of series types. Companion novels are ones that may or may not be best read in a specific order, however each book should function as a standalone. This means that although you can read book three first and have it make sense, it is truly advised you have read either book 1 or 2 (or both) before getting to it to understand the related elements. The plots of these books will often have common themes, characters (just shifting from main to background characters often, or a change in perspective), and/or occur in the same world. They do not follow one over-arching plot though, which would define them as a unordered series. Confusing? Some examples of these are The Giver Quartet by Lois Lowry, and the Graceling Realm series by Kristin Cashore.


Bonus: Mixed Series

Yes, just to be especially confusing, sometimes these series types can be mixed together! Now, I can't say that I have ever encountered all three mixed together, but I've definitely seen companion novels added into ordered series types - this is more common than companion series on their own, actually. These are often short story additions, prequels, or sections written from another character's perspective. I add them in as companion novels rather than list them as unordered because they are: not necessary for the main plot, may or may not contain the same characters (ex. be set in the same world only), and usually (but not always) can be read in any order within the entire series structure.

------

Do you have a favourite type of series? Have you read a companion series before?

4 comments:

  1. I had no idea that there were actual names for different types of series, so you have educated me today, Shayna! I would say my favourite type of series would be unordered series. I love middle-grade novels and I feel like that way I don't feel pressured to read a book in a series that I know I won't like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that there are a few different terms for some of these, so I wouldn't take my word on them being "official!" Unordered series are great! It's so refreshing to be able to pick up a book whenever and revisit beloved characters without stress of having to remember what happened in the last book.

      Delete
  2. I've only read ordered series so far, probably because the other types are more common with hyped books...which I rarely seem to read LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought ordered series were most common? Shows what I know! Haha

      Delete