Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Five Books I Meant To Read In 2017 But Didn't Get To

As many of you probably know, Top Ten Tuesday from The Broke and The Bookish will now be hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl. As this is the last official TTT that they will be hosting, I definitely had to make sure to do this one. Although my TBR is stupidly long, there were a few books that I intended to focus my efforts on in 2017, but just didn't get around to. Some of them I am part way through, and some I didn't even touch. So, here we go:



sarahjmaas.com

Tower of Dawn - Sarah J. Maas

Now, do I actually want to read this? Originally when I heard about it I was hesitant to pick it up (especially because the character of Chaol did a complete 180 in Queen of Shadows, and I don't care one way or another about Nesryn). Then I decided I would give it a shot and took a copy out from the library. Now though? I just can't seem to get into it. 

librarika.com

Under The Greenwood Tree - Thomas Hardy

I love Tess of the D'Urbervilles and Far From the Madding Crowd, so I've wanted to explore more of Hardy's work. With this one being his shortest, and apparently "most cheerful," I thought it would be a good one...but I could barely get into it. I've tried reading it once and listening to it on audiobook. Although the audio format was better, I am not particularly motivated to continue it. Hopefully I can make myself get through it this year. 

franceshardinge.com

The Lie Tree - Frances Hardinge

There isn't any particular reason that I didn't get a chance to start this one, there just wasn't enough time. I still think the concept sounds interesting and hope to pick it up soon. 

terrybrooks.net

The Sword of Shannara - Terry Brooks

I'm part way through this! I'm enjoying it, but things got busy and I wanted really quick, easy reads that were fast-paced and I put it aside for a little while. I should be getting back into this one soon.


dianagabaldon.com

Drums of Autumn (Outlander, Book 4) - Diana Gabaldon

Nope. I'm about 400 pages into this one from what I recall...and I pick it up every few months, read a chapter or two, and promptly forget about it again. It's not that it's bad, but I don't really feel like there is anything going on that progresses the story along. I mean, I can essentially keep picking it up and reading it and am not lost - I remember where everything left off - so there can't be anything elaborate going on. I'll probably finish it in order to keep ahead of the TV series, but I'm unsure as to whether or not I'll continue on with The Fiery Cross.
----------------------------
Are there any of these that I should give a second chance to? What books have you been struggling to finish?

16 comments:

  1. I quite enjoyed The Lie Tree! I hope you enjoy these books when you do get around to them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chrissi! I'm thinking I will push it up near the top of my TBR for this year - the concept sounds too cool to pass up.

      Delete
  2. I want to start in on the Shannara Chronicles too, but I need to read the books I already have first. All the books on my TTT are some of the unread books on my shelf. Thanks for giving my blog a visit!
    Marie @ Pages to Explore

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you want to get an idea of the rough storyline, I enjoyed watching the show (although I've only seen season 1). It's based on the second book in the series, but it definitely takes some liberties.

      Delete
  3. I picked up The Lie Tree when it was released, I can`t believe I haven`t read it yet. Good luck with your reading plans.

    Carmen`s Reading Corner

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read book one of the Outlander series and that was all I needed to see it wasn’t a series for me. Funny, because so many people love it.

    https://readerbuzz.blogspot.com/2018/01/books-i-meant-to-read-in-2017-but-didnt.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd really like to read Under the Greenwood Tree as well. Here is our Top Ten Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I mean to get to get to Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series someday myself - I want to wait until I finish the Song of Ice and Fire series, though since they are both such intense series. Looks like you have some good books to look forward to this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am doing the reverse, haha! I want to start Song of Ice and Fire, but am waiting until I get through a few other longer series.

      Delete
  7. Nice list of books!! I hope you read them all in 2018!! Here's a link to my TTT post for this week: http://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2018/01/top-ten-tuesday-ten-books-i-meant-to.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been meaning to read The Lie Tree for the longest time!! I have no idea why I haven't read it yet. Hope you enjoy it (and all these others) whenever you finally get to them. :)

    Here's my TTT if you're interested: https://kourtnireads.wordpress.com/2018/01/09/top-ten-books-i-meant-to-read-in-2017-but-didnt-get-to/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tower of Dawn was on my list this week too!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2018/01/09/top-ten-tuesday-141/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tower of Dawn was really good. I liked it more than I thought I would. Hope you get a chance to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I feel the same about Tower of Dawn! It just seems really hard to pick up knowing there won't be Aelin or anyone else...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank goodness it isn't just me. I feel like everyone grabbed it right away, and it is just sitting there on my desk gathering dust...

      Delete
    2. I think I'm just scared I won't like it because Sarah J. Maas is one of my favourite authors.

      Delete