Tuesday, January 2, 2018

I Want Candy


I found a fun little tag a while back on the blog Sorry, I'm Booked called The Candy Book Tag, and I thought it looked really fun. So, I'm going to give it a go because a) Candy, and b) Books. It really can't get much better than that, unless you include tea. And what a way to start the year off! Alright, first item on the list:

Apples – Ah. Healthy food. It is deep, meaningful, and probably won a lot of awards but, um, it really isn’t your thing.

Well, I'd have to say The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath. I think Plath has some great poetry, but this book really just didn't do it for me. I don't know if I read it at the wrong time in my life or what, but I barely got through it.

Milk Chocolate – This is a book you’d recommend to absolutely EVERYONE.


Everyone? That's a tough one for me. Working in a library I really get to see how everyone's tastes really differ. However, since I find this to be an absolutely impossible thing to answer, I'll just pick something that I think has a lot to offer for many different people, and that's Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontё. Gothic mystery, strong characters, romance, independence, and hardship - what's not to love?


Black Jellybeans – Why do these exist??


Why, oh why does Fifty Shades of Grey by E. L. James exist? I know, not a very unusual answer, but really, this series just hurts me. I've read passages just to figure out what the hype is about, and I would have to say that the appeal alludes me.

Chocolate Kisses – Awww this novel had the best romance.


This one was a bit tricky for me (there are so many!), but I finally settled on Persuasion by Jane Austen. It is a beautiful love that lasts even through so much time and so many changes, and these two characters are both so sweet and lovely that I can't help but adoring their romance.

Gummy Spiders – Eek! You made sure to check under your bed every night for a week after reading this scary one.

No, I couldn't find a photo of gummy spiders...but this is much cuter anyway.
Lord of the Flies by William Golding. It is haunting and horrifying, but incredible. It's not the kind of scary as horror novels, but it will stay with you forever.

Jumbo Lollipop – This took you forever to get through, but hey! You did it!


It's one of my favourite books, but Tess of the D'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy took me a really long time to finish. I was reading it at a time in my life that was very stressful, and since this is a (spoiler) really depressing book (end spoiler), it was really bringing me down. I put it down for several months, and I was so glad I was able to pick it up again and finish it months later.

Cotton Candy – Admit it, you loved this when you were younger (you probably still do). Think children’s or MG fiction. 


This is one book I am still extremely fond of, and that's Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine. It's a perfect fairytale with a strong, independent heroine that finds love. Don't compare the movie to this book, they are barely even related.

-------------------
What do you guys think of my picks? I'd love to see what you choose!

1 comment:

  1. Great tag! I totally get the 50 Shades disappointment- what does everyone see in it?!?!

    ReplyDelete