Wednesday, December 26, 2018

28 Movies That Leave You Screaming at the Screen

If you are the self-proclaimed super fan of the happy ending, turn away now. Either that, or pay careful attention to this post as things to avoid. Today I'm going to talk about movies where things don't turn out with the ideal fairytale ending. That doesn't exactly mean that the endings are devastating (although in some cases they are), as many times the ending is bittersweet and closes with the main characters doing what is best for them even if it isn't satisfying romantically. So, since the following will essentially give large hints as to the endings of these films, here is your GIGANTIC SPOILER WARNING. Continue at your own risk (haha).



rogerebert.com
photocollage.com

1) The Way We Were (1973)
2) Marjorie Morningstar (1958)
3) La La Land (2016)
4) Splendor in the Grass (1961)
5) A Walk to Remember (2002) - I'm only putting one Nicholas Sparks creation here!
6) The Bridges of Madison County (1995)
7) West Side Story (1961) - Seriously Natalie Wood, why do you have three on this list?
8) 500 Days of Summer (2009)
9) Becoming Jane (2007)
10) Me Before You (2016)
11) The Fault in Our Stars (2014)
12) Scarlet Heart: Ryeo (2016) - Technically a K-drama mini-series, but I couldn't help but include it
13) One Day (2011)
14) Autumn in New York (2000)
15) Gone With the Wind (1939)
16) My Best Friend's Wedding (1997)
17) An Education (2009)
18) Moulin Rouge (2001)
19) Edward Scissorhands (1990)
20) Tuck Everlasting (2002)
21) Brief Encounter (1945)
22) Cyrano de Bergerac (1950) - Although you could watch any version, really
23) A Patch of Blue (1965)
24) Pocahontas (1995)
25) Bright Star (2009)
26) The Thorn Birds (1983) - Also a mini-series, but so good.
27) The Terminal (2004)
28) The Age of Innocence (1993)

------------
Since I've only mentioned movies I've seen, I'm definitely missing a few, such as Blue Valentine, The Umbrellas of Cherbourg, Brokeback Mountain, and Blue is the Warmest Color, however let me know if there are any you think I should watch. Which ones of these have you seen?

9 comments:

  1. I really, REALLY disliked the ending of La La Land. I mean, I wasn't 100% enamoured of the film itself, but the ending was just the final nail.

    Not every film has to have a happy ending, I know that - but sometimes I think they write a 'different' ending just to shock people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely agree (although I did enjoy the movie). I want to actually rewatch La La Land because I feel conflicted about the ending, but there are a lot of films where I feel like they do that sort of thing simply to be dramatic and different, like you said. So, even if it isn't the best ending for the story, it's been done to garner attention and be unusual. I don't think most of them on this list are like that though, fortunately (except One Day definitely feels that way...)

      Delete
    2. Argh, I've just typed an entire comment and then pressed 'sign out' instead of 'publish.' Sigh.

      ANYWAY. You expressed the sentiment much more eloquently than I did, but that's exactly how I feel.

      It's been years since I read One Day and I haven't seen the film, but I think I remember being annoyed with it. But the biggest contender for me is The Fault in Our Stars - it just reeked of 'shock value,' for me, anyway. I know others don't always feel that way, but I just couldn't get past rolling my eyes!

      Delete
    3. I HATE when I do that! I appreciate you taking the time to still reply though.
      It's so lovely to be on the same page for these things!

      Delete
  2. So right with Me Before You and TFIOS!!! And I totally agree about La La Land- the ending was a bit disappointing.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me Before You makes me want to scream just thinking about it! I am not mad about the ending though because I feel like it was appropriate...even if I might have wished it ended differently.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, I think it probably would've been a little rose-tinted and unrealistic if it had ended any differently.

      Delete
  3. The Fault in Our Stars! OMG that book and movie almost made me cry. West Side Story I think I've seen as well but don't recall for some reason... That's probably a good thing. 😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. West Side Story is a favourite of mine, but the first time I saw it I was so upset that I refused to watch it for many years. Thank goodness I got over it enough to watch it again!

      Delete