Tuesday, December 4, 2018

YA in Review: Red Queen (Victoria Aveyard)

This post will essentially be Spoiler Free, however comments by other users may possibly contain information that spoils portions of the plot, so read at them your own risk. This book is the ninth one that I've completed for my 2018 TBR Challenge. Only three left!

harpercollins.com

What it's about:

The world is divided into two - those with red blood, the commoners, and the elite members of society who have silver blood and possess unique special abilities. Mare Barrow, a red-blooded girl is about to be sent to war, as is the law for those without skilled jobs when they reach eighteen. But Mare's skill is thievery - trying to feed her family, she steals to provide their basic necessities since her brothers are already at war. Yet one day she tries to steal from a stranger, who offers her a job in the palace instead. The stranger is the crown prince, and immersed in his world, Mare soon discovers that although she bleeds red, that she has more in common with the silvers than she ever could have predicted.

Why it's worth a read:
  • If you like books with a full mix of genres, this one is great for you. There's a little bit of romance, a little bit of science-fiction and fantasy, some mystery and intrigue, and a lot of action.
  • The premise is pretty cool, and relatively original based on the world building.
  • The main characters really draw you in, and you want to know more about their backstories. They aren't all one-dimensional beings.
  • In all honesty, this book is kind of addictive, but for no reason I can specifically identify.
  • If you love A Kiss of Deception by Mary E. Pearson, or Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas then I would definitely recommend picking this one up. 
Where it disappoints:
  • This book is extremely stereotypical of YA fiction. Darn near every trope I can think of is in it.
  • There is a lot of repetition. The same quotes are used several times, so a lot of plot points feel rather handed to you. Except, oddly enough, a bunch of stuff is not explained properly at the beginning (or ever, in some cases) and you just have to figure it out. Not very balanced.
  • If you want a fully original idea, this isn't it. It has some relatively original aspects to it (at least, regarding YA fiction), but it definitely isn't unique.
  • It doesn't dive deeply into any one genre, other than it reads perhaps best as mild fantasy. The science fiction aspects only come up once in a while, so it really does feel like average people with magic. Think The Hunger Games with magic, and a less dystopian feel.
Final Thoughts:

This book was a giant cliché, with more tropes than I could have predicted would be stuffed into a single novel...and yet I finished it, and am considering continuing the series. So, even though I wouldn't say that this is quality writing, I still think it's a decent book. There was just enough to keep me interested. I listened to this one on audiobook, and it was perfect that way. If I occasionally tuned out for a moment, or a car went by when I was walking home, I wasn't too concerned that I had missed a tiny bit (except during the intense moments). It was a nice diverting read.

For some cute fun, here's a quiz I found to figure out what your power is: Quiz
Warning that this quiz might contain spoilers. I, however, was a Strongarm ;)

4 comments:

  1. I had many of the same feelings you did with this book. I read it when it came out and it was interesting but it wasn’t anything special or unique. I never read on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might continue it, but I'm not sure yet. I have some other series to work through that are much higher priorities for me, and if it's still interesting to me then I probably will try the sequel.

      Delete
  2. I remember enjoying this book but I'm still only half way through the sequel... as I have been for months now. I totally agree about all the YA tropes... it just tries a little too hard for my liking and I'm not particularly crazy about any of the characters.
    xx

    ReplyDelete