Tuesday, December 11, 2018

Lady Susan (Jane Austen)

This post will essentially be Spoiler Free, however comments by other users may possibly contain information that spoils portions of the plot, so read at them your own risk. This book is the tenth one that I've completed for my 2018 TBR Challenge. I was thinking of giving up on this challenge in favour of getting through a few things that I was more interested in, but I'm still hoping I can make it!

barnesandnoble.com

What it's about:

Lady Susan is a widow, a mother, a beauty, a liar, and a shameless flirt. Told entirely through letters, this story centers on Lady Susan's scheming to make a good match for herself and her daughter, while everyone else tries desperately to thwart her efforts. Around every corner lies deceit, persuasion, and endless familial frustration.

Why it's worth a read:
  • If you're a die hard Austen fan, this is definitely one you have to read. It is very unique, but still has her great style to it.
  • If your favourite part of Austen's writing is her social commentary, then this is a real gem for you. So, if Mansfield Park and Emma are favourites, I would absolutely check this out.
  • It's quite short, and it is broken up into short sections that are generally two pages or less. This makes it great for reading on breaks at work or on the bus, or while cooking. Perfect for the Austen fan on the go.
  •  The story is ridiculous at points, the gossip is juicy, and the scandals are delicious. Lady Susan is a character that you love to hate (but somehow find endearing). It's a fun ride!
Where it disappoints:
  • If you are expecting a sweet romance, typical of Austen's other stories, this doesn't deliver at all. It is so unlike all of the others in that respect that you will be severely disappointed.
  • It is written entirely in the form of letters. It is not the standard novel format that you generally see in her books, but is instead a series of letters between various characters. Sometimes the same two people write back and forth for a bit, sometimes it switches between letters to unrelated people. It can be a bit confusing, and I found myself having to flip back and forth a few times.
  • The version I read wasn't edited, so the spelling and grammar can be poor in some parts. You can easily understand what is meant by each part, so comprehension isn't an issue, but if you are a stickler for correctness, this one might make you twitch.
  • It's at a bit of a slower pace than some of her other novels, and a bit more similar in pacing to Mansfield Park. If you're looking for one with more action (such as Pride and Prejudice), then this doesn't deliver for most of the story.
Final Thoughts:

This book/short story inspired the movie Love & Friendship (2016), which I hope to watch soon now that I have finished this one. I put off reading Lady Susan for a long time for a couple of reasons. The first reason was mostly that I don't tend to enjoy short stories. I also didn't know anything about this story, and so I was hesitant/unsure if I was interested. If that wasn't enough, I also didn't want to run out of Austen stories to read. However, I'm glad I finally decided to read it. It wasn't my absolute favourite out of all of her works, but I did end up quite enjoying it, and I would recommend it to Austen fans. For those getting into Austen, it wouldn't be my first choice for the reason alone that it isn't indicative of most of her other works.

No comments:

Post a Comment