Saturday, February 2, 2019

January 2019 Update

A complete reverse from December - this has been a month for shows! I'm back in a new semester for school, so that means that I'm watching more shows than movies. An hour of television is a more reasonable study break than a 2.5 hour movie.

Started Watching:

pbs.org
Victoria - season 3
I really love this show. Honestly, I think everything about it has been done brilliantly. Jenna Coleman plays Victoria with strength, elegance and grace, but is not without her faults. Costumes are beautiful, and the cast are all lovely actors who have fantastic backstories to really get invested in.

bbc.co.uk

Poldark - season 1, 2, 3
Nah, I'm not obsessed with period dramas at all! I knew I was going to like this, but I kept having roadblocks to starting it, and then just delayed it for a bit. Wow! I sure wouldn't have been delayed if only I'd known what I was in for! I'm really loving it. I've slowed down on season 3 a bit because of school, but I should be able to finish up season 3 and start season 4 within the next few weeks.


Finished Watching:


radiotimes.com
Outlander - season 4
Well, I was motivated by season 4 to end up continuing the fourth book, Drums of Autumn. Otherwise, I've been finding it rather lackluster. I mean, it's fine...but I find my mind wandering a bit. There are some good moments, but I'm not super invested. I'm kind of watching it to mostly see how a few things will tie up, but if I end up missing a few minutes here and there I don't really mind.

Poldark - season 1, 2
Duh. So, so good. There are some questionable (or just plain bad) moral decisions which are frustrating, but I really love how they've done this. I'm thinking I'll at least try reading the first book eventually.


Movies:
netflix.com
Alex Strangelove
What do I even say about this movie? Did I enjoy it? Meh. Some things were good, some things were definitely not. It was fine, but utterly forgettable...except that I can't because of the things that were weird (and not in a good way). Wouldn't personally recommend it...but maybe it's enjoyable if you're a bit younger than me? Say, in your teens?


Other:
I got to fulfill a dream of mine this month. For a friend's birthday, a bunch of us rented out a facility and got to learn how to throw axes! I've wanted to learn archery as well as knife and axe throwing for nearly as long as I can remember, so it was amazing to finally be able to do it. We learned with both tomahawks and hatchets. The hatchet ended up being my axe of choice.
How did I do? Well, starting out I was hands-down the worst out of all twelve of us. It was darn near comical. Without going into an obnoxious level of detail, my aim was amazing but I had the same problem over and over again and my axes were not sticking in the target. So after working out a stance unlike anyone else there (three things different from everyone else)...I was doing quite well.
We had a competition for the second half of the session, and I ended up nearly knocking out one of the best guys in our group. Heck, I got so close that it came to a "throw off" with...fireman's axes. It was amazing! He narrowly won, but I came from being the worst there to making it 5th out of 12. Not too shabby at all! And the person who made it first, I beat during our match together.
I was very sore the next day, but it was incredible and I absolutely want to do it again very soon.

----------------------
What have you been up to this past month? Have you watched any of these shows or movies?

5 comments:

  1. I didn't know you were so...wild LOL. Actually, I didn't even know throwing axes was a sport! To be honest, I would be too intimidated (as in: afraid as hell) to do that. I'd probably end up cutting my own arm or something! Besides, when you're on the wrong side of 50, everything hurts without you even having to give it more reasons to LOL. So...well done! Now I'm picturing you like Buffy the Vampire Slayer 😂.

    [video]http://buffyangelshow.fr/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/anigif_enhanced-7518-1407871218-5.gif[/video]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, sorry, I don't know why the gif doesn't show. According to my sources, it should have...But of course you can always follow its url.

      Delete
    2. Ahahaha, amazing power swing from Buffy. NOT allowed to do that when axe throwing, unfortunately.
      I was really scared at first, but it didn't take long to love it. It was worse standing behind the people who were throwing, because I was always afraid they would accidentally let go and I would get an axe to the face.
      I'll definitely take the Buffy comparison though ;)

      Delete
  2. Axe throwing sounds like so much fun! I'm glad you enjoyed it. But, knowing me, I'd probably end up chopping off an arm XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only got injured getting out of the car, haha. I banged my knee so hard that it hurt for three days!

      Delete