Tuesday, April 2, 2019

March 2019 Update

Well, I can't say that too much has been going on for me again lately. I'm nearly done my semester (end of April), and then hopefully things will pick up. However, what I did watch was good stuff!

Started Watching:

gizmodo.com.au
3% - season 1
This is an awesome show about a group of people vying for the opportunity of a better life in The Offshore. Once civilians reach the age of 20, they are able to compete to be one of the 3% that have what it takes to make it out of the slums and into a beautiful land of prosperity and medicine. It really takes a look at what lengths people will go to when pushed into desperate situations, and is kind of like reality television except less cheesy. Never heard of this show? I'm not surprised - it's in Portuguese. It's on Netflix though, so it will be relatively accessible. I started watching it with the default settings, which was the English dub, and was having a hard time getting into the acting, but thought the plot had potential. Partway through episode 2 I switched it to the original Portuguese with English subtitles, and my enjoyment grew exponentially. So, if you can handle the subtitles, it works so much better for the show. I have one episode left to go and then I'm on to Season 2. (P.S. I just heard it described as the Brazilian Hunger Games, and I kind of loved that).


Finished Watching:

bbc.co.uk
Poldark - season 4
Although my enjoyment of the last two seasons has been less than the first ones, I definitely still love the show. There are a few characters from seasons 3 and 4 that I love, but also ones that I can't stand to see on screen. All in all, I would absolutely recommend this show, but be forewarned that it gets a bit darker and bleaker as you go on in the seasons. Season 5 isn't out yet, but as far as I know it will be the final one.

pbs.org
Victoria - season 3
Unfortunately with things being a little nuts for me, I missed an episode and a half this season. Although I watched basically all of the crucial episodes (I'm still crying, by the way), I do wish I could have watched it all. I guess I'll just have to wait until it comes on DVD. Anyway, it was definitely a darker tone, but once again a strong season.

----------------------
April and May should be super fun for movies and shows. I have a few things that I'm excitedly waiting for (including Game of Thrones!) What are you looking forward to in April?

5 comments:

  1. Game of Thrones is gonna be awesome!!! I don't know if I'm ready!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't seem to watch anything that hasn't been dubbed - except the interviews on my Queen and Billy Joel DVDs LOL. I use subtitles though...in English, because I like to translate on my own, but still. Oh, and I watched the old Fame series DVDs in English (with subtitles), but that's because I know every episode at heart in Italian!

    I'm missing on a lot of things I would love to watch (like anything David Tennant does 😊), but sadly, I'm not nearly as fluent in spoken English as I am in its written counterpart, so I need my dubbing (thankfully, Italians turned it into a form of art! with perfect lip-synching and everything). I also took two years of Spanish and...well, same. Or worse, because I hardly remember how to read it LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely not for everybody - I don't blame you! I have a hard time with dubbing, but sometimes I can deal with it.
      I speak French as a second language, and although I am horribly out of practice with it I never was very good at understanding what people said when they were speaking quickly. Reading and writing it was definitely more my element!

      Delete
  3. The fact you've watched 3% and I haven't, even though I'm the Brazilian of the two is really funny, hahah. I should probably be better at watching the Brazilian content available on Netflix, because a lot of people compliment it a lot. It sounds amazing and very much like something I'd enjoy, but I think the fact I don't know any of the actors kinda puts me off.
    Brazil has a big telenovela culture, and so I'm used to watching those and recognizing a lot of actors because of them. Since all the actors are pretty new to me, I feel like I won't be able to really connect with the story.
    But if you watched it with English subtitles and enjoyed it so much, I should probably give it a try already!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely get that - I can actually have a problem watching certain things if there are actors I DO know (ex. book adaptations). With Korean dramas (which I am still fairly new to) I like to have at least one actor I know in it, that way I can at least connect to one of them.
      But yes, if you can, I would really suggest it. I'm on the second season now :)

      Delete