Tuesday, March 26, 2019

TTT: Songs That Tell Incredible Stories

Wonderful stories don't simply have to be limited to novels and movies. Thanks to That Artsy Reader Girl's Top Ten Tuesday topic of an Audio Freebie (anything related to audio that you would like), I was inspired to make this week's list about the power of the amazing story told through song.

I have not included songs from musicals (which are engineered to be telling a story), and instead am focusing on those pieces that are stories in and of themselves.



1) American Pie by Don McLean
Perhaps this answer is really stereotypical, but I can't help but include it. It's one of my absolute favourites, and it tells an incredible story.

2) Walt Grace's Submarine Test, January 1967 by John Mayer
I can't even explain how much I love this one. It's got a fantastic rhyming scheme and an uplifting story - especially for all of us dreamers. I recently learned that a bunch of people find the ending of this song ambiguous, which I never have...so that's pretty interesting. Let me know what you think if you give it a listen!

3) Coat of Many Colors by Dolly Parton
A moving and inspirational song, this story about a coat made with a mother's love and sewed from rags, is autobiographical. It's such a beloved song that a movie was even made in 2015 chronicling this period of Parton's life.

4) The River by Bruce Springsteen
A song about regrets and looking back on your life, this one will quite possibly leave you in tears. It's not the kind of song to leave you quickly, with incredible lines like "these memories come back to haunt me, they haunt me like a curse. Is a dream a lie if it don't come true, or is it something worse...?"

5) The Downeaster Alexa by Billy Joel
Billy Joel has several songs that could appear on this list, but this is probably my favourite. Tackling the life and difficulties of a fisherman who has fallen on hard times, this song is both sad and inspirational at the same time. I also think that a large part of the brilliance of this song is how the sounds of the swell of the sea, squawking birds, and fog horns all appear in the song using instruments. It isn't cheesy or distracting, and instead really adds to the mood.


6) One For the Vine by Genesis
There is no way I couldn't include this one. Lyrically, I think this song is absolutely incredible, and I also think it is a musical masterpiece. I remember the first time I heard it, and was just blown away by the incredible musicality. Just like with Billy Joel, many songs from Genesis are structured this way lyrically, which is incredible.

7) The Trapeze Swinger by Iron & Wine
Now, this is a long one. This song clocks in at around nine and a half minutes. With a simple and repetitive melody, it's easy to leave it on as background music - but not listening to the lyrics at least once would be a great mistake.

8) Black Velvet Band by The Irish Rovers
Not only do I adore this band and storytelling folk songs, but this is one of my favourites that they do. There are a bunch of different versions of this, but it's the one I have always loved best. In this one, the main character gets tricked by a pretty woman and ends up being accused of theft.

9) The Highwayman by The Highwaymen
This cover is my particular favourite version, and how the group got their name. Comprised of Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, Kris Kristofferson, and Johnny Cash, this all-star band is definitely worth a listen for this song alone. Each singer is responsible for a different verse, and since this song looks at reincarnation...it's very fitting.

10) That Year by Brandi Carlile
A total tear-jerker by one of my favourite musicians. When Carlile was in her teens, one of her friends committed suicide. This song looks at her reflections on it, and how she came to terms with what happened, and how her perceptions on it have changed over time. It's a powerful and soft song that really hits you.



Honourable Mentions:
I had a nearly impossible time bringing this list down to simply ten, but rather than go into detail about every song, below are a few more that were the last to be cut. If you especially love the style of these sorts of songs and want some more like them, let me know down in the comments! If you gave these a listen and loved any of them, I'd love to hear.

Cats in the Cradle by Harry Chapin
Travelling Solider by The Dixie Chicks
Coward of the County by Kenny Rogers
I Started a Joke by The Bee Gees
Blown Away by Carrie Underwood
Mary's Song by Taylor Swift
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald by Gordon Lightfoot
Dirty Paws by Of Monsters and Men

28 comments:

  1. I loved the song The River so much. Bruce is always a great storyteller!

    www.tbrandbeyond.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He really is - I was already a fan of his when someone introduced me to this song, and it instantly became one of my favourites.

      Delete
  2. Love what you've done with the list this week! Very creative. My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great list! I love all the symbolism in American Pie. "That Year" sounds like a song that would have me bawling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I adore songs with symbolism, and it truly ranks in near the top for me because of that. That Year can definitely get me crying - and that isn't the easiest thing to do, haha!

      Delete
  5. I will have to look (or listen haha) into a few of these songs because I'm only familiar with 3 of them (McLean's, Springsteen's and Joel's), but MAN I'm SO excited that you included a song by Billy and you seem to love his music! I've been a HUGE fan since I was a teen, and I own each and every one of his albums (including the My Lives boxset with all the unreleased stuff) and a few video collections too - not to mention a biography! I might be his No.1 fan in Italy haha. Everything you said about The Downeaster Alexa is true - the way it recreates the feeling of being on the sea in so many ways. Though if we're talking about songs that tell a story, I have a soft spot for Allentown. And what about Goodnight Saigon?!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have a huge repertoire of Joel's music (mostly because of time, haha), but the ones that I know well, I adore. It's great to know someone else who truly appreciates his work :). I felt like the obvious choice for me for this list was actually Piano Man, haha, but I love that you have a different perspective on it, and they all definitely would be perfect - see he has so many like this!

      Delete
  6. I love Mary's Song-actually that's one of the reasons I love Taylor Swift's music so much, a lot of her songs really do feel like stories set to music.
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2019/03/26/top-ten-tuesday-204/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a particularly good one. I miss the more storytelling aspects of her songs - I feel like that is something missing with some of them now. The Speak Now days were my favourite.

      Delete
  7. I'm intrigued by One for the Vine.

    This is our Top Ten Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I share your love of the American Pie song. It's so catchy.

    My Top Ten Tuesday post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had to explain the story of American Pie to my sister and she was blown away lol! But that is a really great song : D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it fantastic? I think it's a good song even when you don't know the meaning, but it's incredible once you know the nuances.

      Delete
  10. Excellent list! I also love Billy Joel's Allentown and Leningrad and Harry Chapin's great songs--among others. Dolly Parton did a children's book of her song. It's sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  11. All these song-based posts this week make me think I need to explore more music. Hope you had fun putting this post together!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't recognize most of these songs, but I think I know Blown Away and American Pie??? I love it when songs have a personal story to it - it makes it more powerful and symbolic for listeners.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried to pick a bit of a mix of genres and time periods, but I know that I definitely focused more on older stuff because that's a lot of what I listen to, and was more common of the style of 60s-80s music.

      Delete
  13. Ah, this made me exceptionally happy. I love this! Songs that tell a story are everything. Music in general is just a passion of mine. And seeing the significance in artists songs is just so intimate because we see this story and often, we see parts of ourselves sprinkled into the narrative they build in certain songs. Ah, basically, great picks! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, thank you! I really connect with these songs, and they've been a big part of my life. I'd love to hear some of the ones that mean a lot to you.

      Delete
  14. Great list! I love the way you treated this week's topic. I immediately think of Taylor Swift's songs. They always tell such amazing stories.
    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete
  15. American Pie is an amazing song. I've not heard of any of the others, I might listen to them at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  16. 'Mary's Song' is a great Taylor Swift throwback, and I feel like Carrie Underwood's songs always tell a great story. Really, country music in general seems to tell great stories. :)

    Thanks so much for visiting Finding Wonderland last week! Really appreciate it; apologies it took me so long to make a return visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? Once I published the post I realized I had forgotten Martina McBride songs as well, haha. And the more I think about it, there are like a million I could have chosen.
      And no worries at all - I appreciate a read and/or comment regardless of when it comes. Thanks for taking the time to comment!

      Delete