Tuesday, August 13, 2019

Library Life: And I Quote...Unusual Favours

I'm going to start a new series! Well, a segment within a series. Within my new "Library Life" series, I want to do an occasional segment, which I'm thinking I want to call "And I Quote..." but that might change, haha. Basically, I wanted to share some of the hilarious situations I deal with while working in a library. Some of these are very much exclusive for libraries, but a lot of them are things that people in all public service situations can relate to. So, here is my first installment of this series - let's see how it goes!

*Disclaimer: to protect the privacy of the people involved, small details and/or wording may be changed from what actually occurred, however the main content is the same.





*Walks into the staff room, which is near an unoccupied family washroom* 
Can I wash my baby's face in your sink?

*Phone rings*
Them: I'm in the library. Can I print from my laptop?
Me: Yes, we can give you instructions at the desk.
Them: I don't want to leave my laptop. Can someone come here?
Me: ...you can bring your laptop with you to the desk.

Can you help me find this house? *hands over a hand-drawn picture*

Them: Can I pay you so that I don't have to put money in the meter?
Me: Oh, do you not have any change?
Them: No, I do.
Me: Did you want to use debit or credit?
Them: No, I want to pay with cash.
Me: Then I would have to come over to override the meter...it's easier to just put the money in.

Can you measure my inseam?

*doing face painting during an event*
Them: Can you paint something on my baby's hand?
Me: Sure, of course.
Them: Oh, they are hungry. Do you mind if I breastfeed while you do it?

---------
Those are some of the interesting situations that have come up over the years! What do you think? What are some unusual favours you've been asked to do?

8 comments:

  1. "Can you help me find this house? *hands over a hand-drawn picture*

    Can you measure my inseam?"

    LOL, those are the craziest ones - especially the inseam one. Why would one walk into a library and ask for that is beyond me 😂. It must be awkward for you some times, to deal with these people.

    My husband works at the local hospital's switchboard, and he gets his share of weird requests or questions LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes we end up being so flabbergasted that we actually just do these things...how do you politely refuse some of these things? Haha
      Oh, I bet he has some wild stories!

      Delete
    2. ...You mean you DO measure inseams? 😱 😂

      Delete
    3. I guess I'm becoming a seamstress in my next life...

      Delete
  2. I feel like I get weird questions like this just from working retail lol! One time a lady asked me if she could change her baby’s diaper on the register desk. People are weird.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh the joys of working with people!

    ReplyDelete