Tuesday, August 27, 2019

Uncomfortable Recommendations

Do you ever recommend something to someone - a book, show, or movie without really thinking about the content?

What I mean by this, is that you enjoyed the content, but you were either desensitized to something in it or have forgotten it. For example, you might encourage a fan of the fantasy genre to watch Game of Thrones...but I hope that it isn't a twelve year old whom you are suggesting it to.

Sometimes you might not think about the level of graphic sex, violence, or language used in a piece before recommending it. I know that for myself, I might remember one or two of those aspects (ex. sex and violence in Game of Thrones), but the language is something I might have forgotten. So if I'm telling a friend to watch so-and-so, I might omit to ask them if they are okay with graphic language.

Well, that was unexpected...


I think the important thing to keep in mind is that each one of us has a different threshold for what we are able to handle in various categories. Although we can't be expected to keep track of everything, I want to try and be conscious of what I'm recommending not only at work, but outside of it too.

What's brought this discussion on?

I recommended a show to a friend that I thought he would like, but after I thought about it later, I realized that I didn't remember all of the content...and that perhaps it was a rather inappropriate recommendation.
In this case, I fortunately shouldn't have worried. He recommended something to me at the same time...but I wish he'd warned me a little better. It's definitely good, but I've been watching it in the evening - big mistake. Welcome creepy atmosphere (I knew about this), a random graphic sex scene, dead animals, animal dissections, and...well, you get the picture.

So, what do you think about this? Have you ever made a recommendation that you regretted after? Or do you prefer that no subject is limited or taboo? What are some things you enjoyed that you would hesitate to recommend?

8 comments:

  1. I always recommend the tv show: The Handmaid’s Tale to everyone because it’s an awesome show, however it does have a lot of graphic elements. I normally just give disclaimers to people, I tell them that the show is amazing, but very graphic, and let them decide.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fair enough! It's almost impossible to cover everything, and sometimes it is easiest to let the person guide themselves

      Delete
  2. I've never really thought of this before! I suppose the only time I can really think of is recommending the ACOTAR series to my mum and then suddenly realising how explicit it can get... which is just awkward to consider your mum reading XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember watching Dirty Dancing, Game of Thrones, and Outlander with my mom...on the plus side, she was more uncomfortable watching the sex scenes together than I was!

      Delete
    2. I watched Game of Thrones with my brother... beyond awkward! XD

      Delete
  3. When it comes to books, I do include a warning section in my reviews, but I came to realise that there are things that I don't even consider addressing because I'm not bothered by them - like a bit of language, for instance (while I see from GR reviews that there are people who have no patience with it). Through the years, I've gotten way more tolerant of gore, but there are still extremes that I can't stand (mainly in visual media, but also in books, e.g. Stephen King's brand of body horror). What I can't stand at all are insects (especially if they creep over people) and snakes, and graphic sex I don't even want to read about, let alone watch.

    I think that some things we become desensitised about over the years, while other ones are so deeply ingrained into our being that we can't get past them - but we should make a conscious effort to consider what we can or cannot recommend to other people (or advise them to stay off of). Hard, I know!

    Great discussion BTW 👍.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The insects comment is super interesting to me, because I could never predict that and probably wouldn't write about it in a review except to maybe say "gross things," and that's exactly my point - as hard as you try, you will miss something. But I really love and appreciate when people are able to mention as much as they can. I have issues with certain types of content because of a childhood trauma, and so I definitely appreciate when we can acknowledge things when recommending, even if they don't bother us personally. Hard to do if you're reading for pleasure and not analyzing it!
      Thanks for this great addition!

      Delete
    2. I can read about bugs and the likes, but I definitely don't want to see them LOL. That's why the only Supernatural episode I've always refused to watch (and never plan to) is "Bugs". If they're in a book, I can stomach it...but they better not crawl on people 😂.

      Delete