Friday, November 3, 2017

Forest of Reading 2018

For those of you who don't know me, I work in a children and teens library. That means essentially that most of what I have read over the past few years has been, well, youth materials. Some of these (see: anything by Cassandra Clare) have been purely for enjoyment, while others have been to better be able to recommend books to patrons. I read lots of picture books, but at this point I don't review them on here. I do from time to time however give them a quick review on Goodreads, so feel free to follow me there. If anyone is interested in having reviews of picture books on here, I am more than happy to do it, but otherwise I focus on teen to adult works for the most part.

Anyway, I digress. So, working in this environment it means that it is time for one of the most important youth literary events of the year (well, next year!) - Forest of Reading.



If you don't know what this is, feel free to check out the Ontario Library Association website, but essentially it is books nominated by a panel, and then voted on by predominantly school-age children. This means that the award winners are chosen by the age group that the book is geared towards - so I think it's a great honour! There are categories for grades kindergarten to grade 12 (including both French and English categories), as well as two adult categories. Each of these age/language categories is divided up and given the name of a tree (for example, White Pine is grades 9-12).

The nomination lists were recently released, so now I'm trying to read what I can...but that's a lot of books, and a lot of youth materials, so we'll see how that goes. With these books not being in my regular blogging demographic, let me know if any of you are interested in hearing my thoughts about them - I would love to hear yours!

Happy Reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment