Saturday, February 3, 2018

Blog-Along: Ever After

If you haven't read any of my previous blog-alongs, it's exactly what it sounds like: while I'm watching a movie, mini-series, etc. I detail my thoughts as they come. Now, I do edit them a bit afterwards to avoid too much repetition, and I try to be careful to not have anything more than minimal spoilers, but otherwise it is my reactions of the moment. For the ultimate experience, pop the movie on and follow along with me!

Today's movie is...

Ever After: A Cinderella Story


radiotimes.com


Although I watched this movie several times as a child, it's been quite a while since I have seen it, and was I excited to give it a revisit. Drew Barrymore plays Danielle, the orphaned child who is forced to work for her new stepmother. This interesting take on the classic Cinderella tale (as the story claims, this is what really happened) keeps true to the beloved fairytale, but introduces a kick-butt, independent heroine that all ages can appreciate.


           Play by Play


  • Ah yes, the costuming. Some of it's beautiful, and some of it always makes me laugh. The hairstyles however, are fantastic.
  • Reading Thomas More's Utopia, eh? Next, a bit of light reading...
  • A true lady knows how to pelt a man with apples. Good aim girl, good aim.
  • I love how they all have French names...as one of the original versions is in French
  • Danielle's (Drew Barrymore) accent is pretty bad though
  • Bad-ass speech to free a servant and totally put the prince in his place? Check!
  • Countess Nicole de Lancret? Sounds like de L'encré...Nicole of the ink? Intelligently veiled reference to her being fictional
  • "I will simply deny you the crown and live...forever!" Brilliant
  • Women beekeepers? This seems unusual.
  • It's kind of nice that one of the step-sisters isn't entirely bad. Not the most intelligent, but she tries to help when possible.
  • The addition of Da Vinci to this story is a bit odd, but I love it anyway. I love his quirkiness, and inventions, and his good heart.
  • Referring to these ladies by their first names? How inappropriate!
  • It's nice that there is actually a tender moment between Danielle and her step-mother, and that not absolutely every second is intolerable. That wouldn't be particularly realistic, and it adds an extra dimension to the story.
  • Awwww, what a charmer. Prince Henry and Danielle have some adorable interactions.
  • Book burning - never going to get behind that. It actually hurts every time I see it.
  •  Hurray for temper trantrums! "There was a bee".
  • Why do guys never seem to know when a storm is coming? She's upset, let her talk!
  • She looks so lovely here. This scene always really got to me.
  • Oh no he didn't!
  • 90s obligatory "crying in the rain" moment!
  • Oh no she didn't!
  • Okay, I know you're upset, but...too much. Much too much.
  • No really, shut up.
  • Thank goodness!
  • Strong woman don't need no man to save her.
  • Jacqueline - Oh SNAP!
  • The very picture of Eleanor of Aquitaine.
  • "Slippers provided by Salvatore Ferragamo". Delightful.

         Conclusion


I really enjoyed rewatching this after so long. It brought back some lovely childhood feelings as well as a different appreciation as an adult. Although this movie is not perfect by any stretch, and in some ways strongly has a 90s vibe, it is definitely one to watch for any fan of the Cinderella tale. It shows a strong, independent woman who is capable of taking care of herself, who is passionate about what she believes in and will not stop fighting until she has achieved those things. It's a great movie for female empowerment, and let's be honest, it's simply just a cute, sweet movie as well.

------------------------------------------
What are some of your favourite movie adaptations of fairytales? How do you think Ever After stacks up?

No comments:

Post a Comment