Monday, February 12, 2018

Mini Reviews: Before I Fall, Dear Fahrenheit 451

Working on one of my goals for this year, I wanted to try and get a brief review out for those things that I was having a hard time writing about (whether because I was uninspired, had tons going on, or whatever other reason). It's definitely more important to share a brief review (in my opinion!) than it is to struggle through one that you are having a hard time with and making your work sub par and/or not an accurate picture of how you feel about something. Anyway, here we go!

Before I Fall (2017)
I haven't read the book this movie was based on (by Lauren Oliver), so I can't say how accurate it is, but I did enjoy the film. Although it involves a lot of repetition, it was well done so that it doesn't feel like it goes on forever. I thought the cast was good and everyone felt like they fit the role they were given. The ending had me feeling a bit funny, but glad I watched it.

thefilmstage.com

Dear Fahrenheit 451: Love and Heartbreak in the Stacks by Annie Spence
The premise behind this book was really cool, and right up my alley - a librarian writing letters to books in the form of love notes or break-ups and why they need to stay or be removed from the collection. It sounded witty, thought-provoking, and fun. Yet, this is one of the few books in my life that I officially gave up on. This book got a big, fat DNF from me because it sounded more like something for the author, not really for other readers. With references that you will only understand if you have read each and every book on her list, and a writing style that sometimes was just plain irritating, I found myself skimming sections, and then put this one down before it officially made me mad.

npr.org

-----------------
What do you think of this format of reviews? What were your thoughts on Before I Fall and how does it compare to the book? Were any of you in love with Dear Fahrenheit 451?


2 comments:

  1. I haven't yet read anything at all by Lauren Oliver so I doubt I'll ever get around to this movie ahahah. I'm glad you loiked it despite it feeling repetitive though! The book on the other hand- the premise is unique and the premise itself is one of the reasons why I think it's a bad idea. I feel not many would connect to it unless they've actually read or are familiar with the books, like what happened with you, and that's such a pity!
    Regarding the format of this review- I love it! It's short and to-the-point, and refreshing when done once in a while. I think you should keep at it! I badly need to experiment with different reviewing formats too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I liked being able to do this because it still opens up discussion if people want to ask about these books/movies, but it means I don't have to slog through things that just don't make sense to fully review.

      Delete