Sunday, March 17, 2019

St. Patrick's Day: Books with Redheads

Something you don't see as much is books featuring main characters with red hair. Even when you have them set in Ireland or Scotland, the choice is often made to give them black hair and blue eyes. So, in honour of St. Patrick's Day, I want to pay homage to some books where one of the main characters has red hair!


Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones
Character: Sophie Hatter

The Princess Pawn by Maggie L. Wood
Character: Willow Kingswell

Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Maud Montgomery
Character: Anne Shirley

Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon
Characters: Jamie Fraser, Brianna Fraser

The Thorn Birds by Colleen McCullough
Character: Meghann (Meggie) Cleary

Poldark series by Winston Graham
Character: Demelza Carne

Harry Potter series by J. K. Rowling
Characters: Ron Weasley and family



I'm sorry, this came up when I was looking for redhead photos,
and I laughed so hard at the expression I couldn't resist

A Song of Ice and Fire series by George R. R. Martin
Characters: Ygritte, Sansa and Catelyn Stark, Melisandre

Pippi Longstocking by Astrid Lindgren
Character: Pippi Longstocking

The Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare
Character: Clary Fray

Gemma Doyle Trilogy by Libba Bray
Character: Gemma Doyle

The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett
Character: Jack Jackson

Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell
Character: Eleanor Douglas

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
Character: Claire Abshire

-----------------
Who have I missed? What are some other fictional characters with red hair? I didn't include comic books here, but I know there are a million!

6 comments:

  1. Pippi Longstocking was my favourite book as a child! Her read hair was iconic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you ever watch the animated television series? I was obsessed!

      Delete
  2. That's so weird, I was thinking about this the other day! I was wondering why there weren't many redheaded characters! You read my mind XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, perfect! It actually is one point that bothers me about the movie version of Howl's Moving Castle - they change Sophie's hair from a "red-gold" shade to brown!

      Delete
  3. I know I've read a few with redheads... I can't think of them off the top of my head! I think there's a character in Cinder that has red hair. Now I have to think about this!
    I've only read Anne of Green Gables and Harry Potter off this list though.

    Ash @ JennRenee Read

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someone told me America from The Selection also has red hair, but I haven't read it and have no clue. But yeah, it was surprisingly harder than I thought it might be.

      Delete