Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Unpopular Opinions: Classic Literature

If you love classic literature as much as I do, you're bound to have some strong opinions about their content - and not all of it matches the most common opinions and perceptions that people have. So today I want to share a few of my "favourite" unpopular opinions that I have.

Spoilers, spoilers abound! For each book I'm talking about, the description might contain spoilers. If you haven't read these books, it's safe to read the titles in bold, but you might want to avoid the explanations underneath.





Wuthering Heights
Not only is this story the greatest tale of obsession (and not love), but the most horrible person in the book is actually Cathy. How she treats Heathcliff, Isabella, and Nelly, and is extremely self-serving, and she looks down on everyone. Yes, this tale does also discuss love (and I don't deny that Heathcliff and Cathy love each other), but more than anything Wuthering Heights is about obsession, passion, jealousy, revenge, and social status.


Tess of the D'Urbervilles
Angel is a product of his time and upbringing, and Tess's parents (specifically her mother) is the true villain of the story. Yes, Alec is an absolute scoundrel, but John and Joan Durbeyfield are manipulating, whining, lazy scoundrels. Not only do they cause most of the problems encountered by Tess in the novel (although they do not intend, nor could they foresee the consequences of some of these actions), they also force her further into the situations to satisfy their own needs and agendas.


Mansfield Park
Is one of Austen's best-written works. It contains less unnecessary text than Sense and Sensibility, and is truly one of her best (if not her best) social commentaries. Fanny is a strong character mentally, although her sweet temperament  gets her into trouble because she doesn't want to displease anyone. This comes in part from her simple and poor upbringing, and that she has been brought into a high class household. Anytime she makes waves is an excuse to have her removed from the house, which would be devastating on two accounts: making her a financial burden on her family, and separating her from her dearest cousin Edmund. So, in order to keep herself in favour, she is often too sweet and pleasant to articulate anything against what the family wants, but she is absolutely not weak or boring.


Black Beauty
Is a terrible book to give to young girls who love horses. Just because it is about a horse, doesn't mean it is good for horse-lovers! Now, I have read it two or three times, and think it is fantastic...but it's also so awfully depressing that I wouldn't automatically give it to a child. It contains so much cruelty to horses, that it might be too upsetting for many.


Little Women
A relationship between Jo and Laurie could only have worked well if Jo had been able to go to Europe. I don't know whether or not a relationship between these two could have worked anyway, but there were a few things that absolutely would have needed to happen if there was any shot for them. Jo really needed to go out and experience the world and fulfill her dreams of going to Europe. Her upbringing and life was so different from Laurie's, and she had so many things and ideas going on in her head about life and love that needed to get sorted out first, and the exposure to art may have been truly useful for her writing. Laurie would have needed the time being separated from her to learn to see her clearly.

8 comments:

  1. The only one I've read is Wuthering Heights (I'm super behind on my classics) but I have to agree with you about Cathy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Classics are my specialty, so if you want any recommendations I'm your woman! I'm glad you agree about Cathy - most people think it's Heathcliff, and although he isn't a treat, a lot of what he does is based on how he was treated and his desire for revenge. Cathy just has it in her bones.

      Delete
    2. Okay, I'm gonna get super into classics this year. Which ones do you recommend I start with?

      Delete
    3. Let me know if there's a specific style you're looking for, otherwise I would say try: Emma by Jane Austen, The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath, Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier, and Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte.

      Delete
  2. I agree with your thoughts on Little Women. It still would have been nice to see Jo and Laurie end up together, though. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! I was quite upset for a while about them not ending up together, but I do really love Professor Bhaer. It just wasn't the right time and situation for Jo and Laurie.

      Delete
  3. As a big classics fan, I love posts like this that are honest and say what you really feel about this great literature!

    And personally, I had such a hard time getting into Wuthering Heights, so I had to stop. Everyone just seemed mean and conniving. It is one I feel I must read, so I will try it again. Any tips on getting through it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'd love to do more of them in the future because it's super fun.
      I don't blame you in the least bit with Wuthering Heights. I personally found it a bit of a disappointment and had a hard time getting into it myself. I would recommend doing two things: 1- if you don't know the story well, watch the 1992 movie version with Ralph Fiennes and Juliette Binoche. It is personally the best adaptation in terms of getting the mood and feel of the book correct. 2- make sure you find a copy that has annotations for the cockney. I personally couldn't get through all of the cockney bits and would just flip to the back of the book to read what the heck was being said. It definitely increased my enjoyment.

      Delete