Tuesday, March 12, 2019

TTT: Books I Wish Had Sequels

It feels like forever since I have participated in That Artsy Reader Girl's Top Ten Tuesday, but I do want to start getting back into it from time to time. It's a fun way to add some variety to the blog and connect with other book bloggers.
Anyway, this week's topic is all about standalone books that we wish had sequels. I've tried to avoid picking books that already have companion novels,  but I did sneak one in! Funnily enough, a few books that I would have put on this list did have sequels come out not too long ago...


Here's the moment when I became acutely aware that I read a lot of series.

1) The Chrysalids by John Wyndham - I would love to know how civilization is after this. Tell me all about Sealand!

2) North & South by Elizabeth Gaskell - Could they have children and for some reason be forced to move to the South? Then you can see the reversed prejudices in their children?

3) Lady Susan by Jane Austen - What antics will she get up to next? We all know this isn't the time she starts behaving herself.

4) The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood - No, I wasn't blown away by this book, but with the way it ended and the only brief glimpses into Offred's life that we get to see...we need a sequel. Guess what though? It's actually going to happen!

5) Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson - Although there is a companion novel, Catalyst, that takes place in the same high school, I would really like to see Melinda after she starts coming to terms with what happened to her. Healing doesn't take place in an instant, and I really want to see more of her journey through this process.


6) The Time Machine by H.G. Wells - We only get to see this through the Time Traveller's perspective, but I would love to get more insight into the thoughts of the Eloi, such as Weena, and the Morlock society. This couldn't likely be a long book because I don't know how in-depth their thoughts would be...but I'd love to find out.

7) The Truth About Forever by Sarah Dessen - Although I have no complaints with how this book was wrapped up, I can't get enough of the catering crew and Wes. They are such great characters that I would love to just hear more of their adventures.

8) Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë - It will forever sadden me that there isn't another novel of Emily's to have survived, but I think if we had one, it would be interesting to see the next generation or two of these people. Let's see the children of Catherine and Hareton and how they reinvigorate the moors.

9) The Thorn Birds by Colleen McCullough - You might think that based on how long this book is and how many generations it covers that I couldn't possibly want anything else, right? Wrong! I'd like to hear more about Justine and if she has children how her relationship with her mother might affect her parenting style.

6 comments:

  1. Welcome back to TTT! I hope you'll participate more often this year if/when you have the time.

    And I'm super excited for the sequel to The Handmaid's Tale.


    My Top Ten Tuesday post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only read Handmaid's Tale last year after putting it off for SO long...I guess it was good timing!

      Delete
  2. When I saw this post I immediately thought of The Handmaid’s Tale, so I’m happy to see that you put it in your list as well! I really wish we got to see what happens to Offred next, although luckily the tv show is giving me some answers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great minds think alike! I'm very interested to see how the books and the show will differ.

      Delete
  3. I recently saw a poster for the Handmaid's sequel and it reminded me that I really should read it sometime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely enjoyed the television show more, but I thought it was an interesting read. My review of it is here if you want to check it out: https://clockworkbibliotheca.blogspot.com/2018/11/the-handmaids-tale-margaret-atwood.html

      Delete