Tuesday, May 7, 2019

Mini-Reviews: On Chesil Beach, Juliet, Naked, Midnight Sun

If you could see the notes posted on my computer, you'd discover that I watch a lot of movies, and review...perhaps two thirds of them. What does that mean? Well, those notes contain all of the movies I've seen that I don't really want to write a full-length review for. I've been a bit lazy recently (i.e. too busy with other things that make blogging hard), so the list has been piling up, and up, and...up. Some of the movies on that list I watched back in the summer! Regardless, I will be starting to post a few mini-reviews again to get rid of the backlog...and to give you just a brief summary of what I thought. If you'd like a more in-depth review of any of these, please leave me a comment below or send me a message in the sidebar and let me know, and I will be more than happy to provide one. These ones are all recent ones first, and then I will be moving backwards to some older ones.

Here we go!

time.com
On Chesil Beach
I was going to do an in-depth review here, but then I realized I didn't have too much to say about it. I'm also planning on reading the book (by Ian McEwan), so I might do a Read vs. Reel post on that in the future. But, I digress. On Chesil Beach is sad. It's entirely about character development, and about two people who are unable to communicate properly, especially in the midst of a difficult situation, and this changes their relationship forever. It's told through present moments interspersed with flashbacks so you can fully understand where each person is coming from. I did think it was well done, but I'm not sure it's one that will appeal to a lot of people. If you want a lot of action, or a neat and tidy resolution with all of the answers, then this isn't really your type of film. If you like character-driven plots, where you get a resolution that comes full circle as an end but doesn't give you all the bits that happened in between, then you'll be good with this one. Saorise Ronan, Billy Howe and Anne-Marie Duff (whom I adore) are all great.

weekendnotes.com
Juliet, Naked
Now this is what I like. First off, I kind of love Ethan Hawke. He and I go way back to Dead Poets Society, but it's roles like these where he fits in so comfortably that I feel like he is sitting down on the sofa next to me. If you've seen Boyhood, and liked him there, his character here will give you that same feeling (although the movies are nothing alike). Chris O'Dowd does a good job, and you kind of love to hate him. Rose Byrne is absolutely lovely in her role, and you feel exactly like her, whether you have gone through similar experiences or not. There isn't a lot of action, or plot, but there are some crazy situations and some rich, developed characters that lets this movie draw you in. It's sweet, lovely, relatable, and comfortable. Really enjoyed it, and would definitely recommend it. This is based on a book by Nick Hornby.

xscapetheaters.com
Midnight Sun
I mean, it's a pretty stereotypical teen romance-centered movie, but sometimes that's exactly what you need. The dialogue isn't always the best, and it can get rather cheesy, but there are also some adorable moments. However, if you walk into this thinking it is going to be all sunshine and rainbows, then at least make sure you have a big box of Kleenex in your house for when you get your kick in the face surprise. Yep. Bella Thorne does well here, and both Patrick Schwarzenegger and Quinn Shephard are great in their roles. I would definitely check it out as a good weekend movie, but it isn't going to be winning any awards. This is based on a 2006 Japanese film.

----------------
Which of these movies are you going to check out?

No comments:

Post a Comment