Tuesday, May 14, 2019

TTT: Books I Read Because of Their Adaptations

Thanks to That Artsy Reader Girl, this week's Top Ten Tuesday is a "Page to Screen Freebie (Books that became movies/TV shows, movies that became books, great adaptations, bad ones, books you need to read before watching their movie/TV show, movies you loved based on books you hated or vice versa, books you want to read because you saw the movie or vice versa, etc.)". So for me, I wanted to do books that I read because I had seen, and enjoyed the movie. Enjoy!


Pride and Prejudice
I remember my mom watching this one day, and I curled up in front of the television with her to watch it as well. She had to explain several things to me, but I ended up falling in love with the story. It's been a favourite ever since, and I knew I had to read the book. It was maybe the third or fourth Austen book that I read, but it was the first one I was exposed to. Favourite version: 1995 with Jennifer Ehle and Colin Firth

Wuthering Heights
I would definitely say that this was my introduction to Gothic movies and literature. This was something my mom and I would watch at like 1:00 in the morning when we couldn't sleep, and honestly that is the best time to watch it. It is dark and obsessive, and just plain wonderful. I didn't read it until many years later, but my love for the movie was certainly why I picked it up. Favourite version: 1992 with Ralph Fiennes and Juliette Binoche

Outlander
For all of you who know my love of period dramas, it should be no surprise that Outlander appealed to me instantly since it takes place in two historically important periods. I watched the first episode knowing almost nothing more than a wartime combat nurse and science fiction time travel, and was really interested. I missed the next few episodes (insert long, unimportant story here...) and then learned that one of my best friends had actually been reading the series for a while and also loved the show. I just recently finished the fourth book myself.

The Hunger Games
The same friend who loves Outlander also took me to see The Hunger Games, and loaned me her copies of the books. In all honesty, I think I might have started the first book before seeing the movie, but I don't remember...and I at least started reading them because the movie was out.


Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
I tried reading the series at least twice before the first movie came out, and I could not get into it at all. There are some good reasons for this, however, so before you panic, let me explain. Someone I knew was given the second book as a gift, and therefore read it first. They passed this book onto me, which, being utterly confused, I couldn't get into. I tried twice that I can recall. But when the first movie came out, and I saw it in theatres, I was hooked for life.

Jane Eyre
If you don't know that this is one of my favourite books of all time...well, it is. Haha. Intense and passionate and dramatic and gothic - what more could you want? I adored the movie instantly as a child and the book is a million times better. After falling in love with gothic tales from Wuthering Heights, this was a no-brainer.

North & South
Another one of my best friends (and lover of all things Austen and Gaskell) introduced me to the mini-series, and we watch it nearly every year together. Now we laugh and chatter and provide ridiculous commentary over all the parts except our favourite romantic ones. She recommended the book as well, so of course I picked it up.

Speak
This book has come back into the forefront for numerous reasons over the past few years, but I was first introduced to it as a movie. This one really spoke to me, and so I gave the book a try. Not too long ago I learned that they also created a graphic novel, which I have since devoured.

Howl's Moving Castle
My second Studio Ghibli movie, I adored it instantly. I was completely obsessed, and this is what ensured my love for this style of movie making. When I learned that it was also a novel, I lunged for it. Although completely different in many ways from the movie, I loved the book so wholly and completely that I purchased a copy of the book myself and want to recommend it to everyone - not just preteens. Yes, I'm scarily in love with it.

Flipped
Oh Rob Reiner, you really are a master. This is a sweet coming of age movie that Reiner is so good at, and I thought it was lovely. I've wanted to read the book for ages, and finally got around to it. I'm currently reading it, but am almost done. It's just as sweet and lovely as the movie, and explores some really important themes and ideas in a really safe way.

The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood
Last, but definitely not least, this movie is the oldest, and one of my favourites on this list. As ridiculous in some ways as this movie is, I think it is absolutely genius. Is there anyone better to play Robin Hood? For me, only the jolly Robins will do. I read the book by Howard Pyle many, many years later and used it as the subject of an essay. Not my favourite book, but a top-notch movie. Favourite version: 1938 with Errol Flynn and Olivia de Havilland

------
What are some books you read after loving the movies?

18 comments:

  1. I've not read the Outlander books, they are so long! But I love the TV series. My twist: Good movies about famous authors

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Super long! The fourth one took me forever to get through!

      Delete
  2. I've never seen the '95 P&P but I've liked the version I have seen. And the 1938 Robin Hood is amazing! I just saw it for the first time a few years ago...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Which version have you seen before? I think I've watched 4 versions? I was doing a comparison post a long time ago between movie versions. but I have it on hold. And thank you! It's one of my favourites.

      Delete
  3. I heard of North and South, and The Hunger Games because of the movies first as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Movies are a great way to introduce people to the source material

      Delete
  4. I've watched Outlander and I love it, but I haven't read the books. I read The Hunger Games before the film came out but since the first Harry Potter film came out when I was four, I definitely hadn't read the book by the time it came out!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2019/05/14/top-ten-tuesday-211/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a few book series that came out around the time of The Hunger Games (such as Divergent) that I avoided a little because of the hype originally. So, I was a little bit late to the party, but not SUPER late.
      And haha, oh well!

      Delete
  5. Jane Eyre was such a good film. Totally agree with you there.

    My TTT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Which version(s) have you seen? I've watched...4, maybe 5 I believe haha. I think I might have a bit of an obsession.

      Delete
  6. Robin Hood is one of my very favorite subjects! I've read and watched so many variations on this theme and am always looking for more.

    Here is our Top Ten Tuesday. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you haven't seen the 1938 version, I would definitely recommend it! Do you have any favourite versions? I would be interested in getting some recommendations.

      Delete
  7. I have read Pride and Prejudice but strangely have never seen the Colin Firth adaptation! I bet it's really good, but it's also quite long and I honestly think I might lose interest lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because it is so long, they often put it on television over several weeks, with one episode per week, and I remember seeing it that way maybe the second time I watched it? Perhaps that would be a good way for you to experience it.

      Delete
  8. North & South suprised my by how great it was. I loved the book, but enjoyed the show, too. Confession: I prefer watching Jane Austen. Heretical, I know. Good post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely understand that. I actually prefer watching Pride & Prejudice to reading it, and Sense & Sensibility could have been cut down into a shorter book easily. I think Persuasion and Mansfield Park are probably my favourite ones to read though, and although Persuasion has enjoyable movie adaptations, I haven't found a version of Mansfield Park that I can properly enjoy watching yet.

      Delete
  9. North & South I haven't yet read, but I definitely want to read it, because the tv show was fantastic, I already bought the book. The Hunger Games I read after seeing pictures from the movie - though I only watched it after reading the book, it was really the movie and the hype surrounding it that made me pick up the books! Great post idea!

    Veronika @ Wordy and Whimsical

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has some subtle differences that definitely makes it worth a read!

      Delete