Tuesday, June 29, 2021

Mini-Reviews: Jumanji, The Prom, A Week Away

Looks like today we're talking about musicals and Jumanji...never thought that would be a combo I would be looking at, but here goes!

wonderwall.com
Jumanji (1995)

Can you believe that I only watched this recently? It was never one I was shown as a child, but I waited because I kept hearing about how many kids were terrified by parts of this movie. Not that I exactly expected to be scared of it as an adult, but that didn't really give it a glowing review, haha. I liked it though. I'm not going to say I loved it and thought it was fantastic, but I wouldn't have any issues watching it again if it was on television, or watching it in future with kids (just would make sure they're the right age for it!). I don't plan on seeing the newer/remake movies though - I was mostly in it for Robin Williams.


tvline.com

The Prom

Need a fun, modern musical? This is it! Let's break down the cast for a moment: Meryl Streep, James Corden, Nicole Kidman, Kerry Washington and Keegan-Michael Key. And those are just the names you are most likely to know - there are several other amazing performers in this one. It's also directed by Ryan Murphy of Glee and Scream Queens fame. The Prom was recommended to me by a friend, who, although has an amazing track record for knowing when I am going to like something, I still doubted I was actually going to get invested in this one (when will I learn?). The funny thing though, is that it wasn't the big name characters that were my favourites (save James Corden - you incredible man, you), but the lesser-knowns were brilliant and absolutely shone. Ariana DeBose and Jo Ellen Pellman are amazing in their roles, there are lots of catchy and/or heartfelt songs, and it was a great one to watch. It's not going to go down as a perennial classic for me, but I will definitely watch it again (and I sure as heck have several songs that constantly get stuck in my head).

 
justjared.com

A Week Away

Cheesy, predictable, and oh so sweet. Basically, this musical is exactly what Hallmark would come up with if they created a Christian musical based at a summer camp. And no, that is not a complaint. Was I thoroughly invested in it? No. I paused it from time to time to make tea and that sort of thing. Did I still think it was lovely, and made for a nice summer afternoon? Absolutely! It is very Christian-themed, but it's not pushy. So, I think that people who are appreciative of Christian values and/or are not offended by the mention of God will be fine with this musical, however some might find it a bit much. Not going to garner a rewatch, but definitely wouldn't snub my nose at it. I would check it out if you like High School Musical or Camp Rock and don't object to the Christian influence.

------

Do any of these strike your fancy? How do you feel about musicals - love them, avoid them like the plague, or never seen one? Let me know!

4 comments:

  1. My sister and I loved the music in The Prom, but we weren't that interested in the storyline. It really annoyed us how awfully Emma and Alyssa were treated just for everyone to quickly come together in the end. We thought that the homophobes in the movie didn't really see many consequences of their actions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I absolutely think it was oversimplified (felt a bit Disney-ified, right?). For me it was definitely more about the songs too. I wonder if the stage production is a bit more developed?

      Delete
  2. I haven't seen The Prom yet - I totally forgot about it.

    I didn't really like the original Jumanji when it came out. I haven't watched it since but I love the new ones - both the first and second.

    haven't heard of the last one.

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear you liked the new Jumanji movies. I've heard good things overall about them.

      Delete