Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Bookish Pet Peeves

Everyone has something that drives them absolutely nuts when they pick up a book or series. Some of them are so irritating that they cause you to stop a book mid-way, refuse to continue a series, or avoid even starting the book in the first place. Here I want to share a few of those "hair-ripping out moments" of mine with you.

...no. Just no.

A Bad First Sentence
It is my belief that if you can't bother to have a good first sentence in your book, then you probably didn't take enough care with the rest of the piece for it to be worth my time.

Stereotypical Character Descriptions
Male has curly black hair and eyes like the ocean, is six feet tall with a broad chest and plays either piano or guitar.
Girl is plain, with mousy brown hair that never does what she wants it to, and the boy is instantly in love with her and thinks she is the most beautiful girl ever.
Just no.

The Last Pages are a Preview
I'm sorry, but I thought I had 30 pages of this book left and it just ended. I was not ready. I have been jolted out of a few books this way, and it was horrifying every time. I don't mind those short/few page previews after, or if the pages are a different colour on the side so that it is clear it is not part of the original book, but otherwise I often hate it.


When an Author Pushes Back Release Dates to Publish "Side Stories"
Pretty self-explanatory, but please don't make me wait even longer for your next book just because you wanted to get this random related story out. I would really prefer to read this after I have read the main series anyway, and because you have published it irritatingly in the middle, I will likely never read it.

Unnecessary Relationship/Experimentation/Death/"Cultural Moment"
I like my books to reflect life. That means that some people have more rigid sexualities, some are more fluid, some defined and some undefined. A random lesbian moment does not have a place in some stories, while a connection between two women that becomes romantic is a natural progression in others. A death for no reason other than "I feel like this story needs one" doesn't work. Same with the random interjection of someone whose sexuality/race/religion is described in full detail (when no one else's was) to make a book "inclusive". I love the addition of characters of all different races, religions, sexualities, etc. but it has to work with the plot and environment, and I wish they were naturally included in more books instead of seeming forced in.

Series That Shouldn't Be Series
The first installment was strong. It was a great book, but the author was offered a three-story deal...and the plots subsequently went downhill. I often feel like I need to read the other books (or at least try) because the first one was so good, but it usually taints the whole series for me because books two and three are so painful and/or unnecessary. I'm hoping to do a post on this in future about some of the series that I think are stronger as standalone books.

Your Character Is Named What?
Katniss Everdeen, Renesmee Cullen, Humbert Humbert, Bathsheba Everdene, and America Singer
I'm looking at you. I will say that there is the occasional exception to this where the character name might be odd or unusual but does not actually bother me. For example, Piscine Molitor Patel from Life of Pi doesn't bother me really because there is a story behind it. It feels not like the author's fancy, but rather the parents of the child. For some reason this makes it better for me.

-------------------
Well, those are some of my biggest pet peeves in books - what are some things that bother you? Do you agree with anything on this list? Let me know!


6 comments:

  1. AHAHA I was totally expecting America to make that list and the end and I literally laughed out loud when I saw that it did xD I agree with all you've said here, and I relate most to the first one. I strongly believe a good first sentence has the ability to draw a reader in, so I don't see why more authors don't pick up on that lol. I also despise it when I realize a huge chunk towards the end of thebook is actually a preview of some sort. How about a warning next time? Pfft. Great post- loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just HAD to include America - her name is so cringy! Glad we have similar pet peeves :)
      - Shayna

      Delete
  2. I totally agree with them all- especially the character descriptions one- your examples are spot on! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll pretend that Julian from The Dark Artifices doesn't fit most of that description...I love him anyway. It's just when that's the only important thing about them and those are the things that make them hot, not everything else about them.

      Delete
  3. I don't like the generic character descriptions either, but what REALLY annoys me is when their appearance is described by them looking into a mirror!

    'Susan looked into the mirror and liked what she saw. Her long brown hair and blue eyes...' etc. Argh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't think about that, but that bugs me too! And when being obsessive is described as a girl making sure she has the perfect ponytail with a perfect part and perfect black eyeliner.

      Delete