Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Let's Take a Moment For Some Book Love...

As would be expected of a book and media blogger, I love to read. But I am also a book collector, and it is quite the obsession. I can't resist browsing through used book stores to find new favourites, or beautiful copies of those I already adore. The good, musty smell of a Penguin Classic will get me every time (you fellow page-sniffers will know what I'm talking about!). Here are some of the things I find super difficult to resist when perusing the shelves:


  • Penguin Classics - As you have likely guessed, I love these. There is just something about the thin pages, the perfect size to fit in a purse or locker, and an easy, readable font. I own tons of them, and if I have the choice between a Penguin Classic edition of a book or a different copy, I am most likely to go for the Penguin.
  • Gilded Pages - Those hardcover books with the gold leaf edges? Yeah, that is what I live for. I want to pick them up and touch them. They just look as though they have been made with so much love and care that I instantly connect with them.
  • Intricate Endpaper and Flyleaf - You know when you open the cover of a book, and there is a lovely repeating pattern on the first pages? I feel like I am in Regency-Era England, and everything is as it should be. Now, just combine this with gilded pages, and I am hopeless.
  • Sketches - When there's a few drawings here and there throughout the book, I love it. Yes, sometimes they are weird, and sometimes the captions are incredibly strange, but I find it a quaint addition.
  • Frontispiece - Not typical of current books, this is that page near the beginning of the book that has an illustration or author portrait. I particularly love seeing this for Shakespearean works and poetry anthologies.

But most of all, no matter what a book looks like, feels like, or smells like, I just love seeing rows upon rows of books. A copy of your favourite book could have the oddest cover art and a cracked spine, and it would still be an absolute gem in your eyes. And if that isn't the most magical thing, I don't know what is.

----------------
What are your favourite types of books to buy? Do you prefer paperbacks or hardcovers? Let me know!

4 comments:

  1. You summed up the love for books perfectly! My favourite copies may be super old and broken but they hold so many memories and nostalgia for me.
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My copy of Jane Eyre doesn't have the nicest cover, but I couldn't love any other copy more.

      Delete
  2. ALL THESE OMG you just made me drool over my laptop ahahaha. Gilded pages, intricate endpapers ad flyleaves ftw, though you're right- just seeing rows and rows of books iself is just so satisfying and makes me endlessly happy! <33

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! I love how books can just make us so happy!

      Delete