Tuesday, March 6, 2018

Top Ten Favourite Book Quotes

This week's Top Ten Tuesday from That Artsy Reader Girl is Top Ten Favourite Book Quotes. I love quotes. I love to memorize them and I have a small book where I write down some of my favourites. Needless to say, I found this really difficult to narrow it down to just a few when I feel like I am swimming in favourite quotes. So, after struggling for an excessive amount of time over which ones to pick, here is a itsy bitsy sampling of my favourite book quotes:





1) Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier 
“I could fight with the living but I could not fight the dead. If there was some woman in London that Maxim loved, someone he wrote to, visited, dined with, slept with, I could fight her. We would stand on common ground. I should not be afraid. Anger and jealousy were things that could be conquered. One day the woman would grow old or tired or different, and Maxim would not love her anymore. But Rebecca would never grow old. Rebecca would always be the same. And she and I could not fight. She was too strong for me.”

2) The Velveteen Rabbit by Margery Williams Bianco
"'Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand.'”

3) The Glass Menagerie by Tennessee Williams
“I didn't go to the moon, I went much further—for time is the longest distance between two places.”

4) Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
"'I'm claiming the right to be unhappy.'"

5) Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
"'There must be something in books, things we can't imagine, to make a woman stay in a burning house; there must be something there. You don't stay for nothing.'"

6) Outlander by Diana Gabaldon
"'When I asked my da how ye knew which was the right woman, he told me when the time came, I'd have no doubt. And I didn't. When I woke in the dark under that tree on the road to Leoch, with you sitting on my chest, cursing me for bleeding to death, I said to myself, 'Jamie Fraser, for all ye canna see what she looks like, and for all she weighs as much as a good draft horse, this is the woman.''"

7) Tess of the D'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy
"The pair were, in truth, but the ashes of their former fires."

8) Macbeth by William Shakespeare
"Stars, hide your fires; Let not light see my black and deep desires."

9) The Twits by Roald Dahl
“A person who has good thoughts cannot ever be ugly. You can have a wonky nose and a crooked mouth and a double chin and stick-out teeth, but if you have good thoughts they will shine out of your face like sunbeams and you will always look lovely.”

10) The Island by Gary Paulsen
"Part of our problem is that we run around naming things without asking them if they want to be named. Then, after we name them, they don't know they're named anyway. A tree doesn't know it's a tree; a fish doesn't know it's a fish; and if the fish did know, it would probably be upset by it. Who wants to be called fish?"

------------------
What are some of your favourites? Which ones of these do you love?

4 comments:

  1. Such classic quotes! I especially love the one from the Velveteen Rabbit. (It's one of my favorite children's books.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. All excellent-and different quotes!!
    https://justmeandmyblogreviews.blogspot.com/2018/03/top-ten-tuesday-book-quotes.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I tried to use some books that I don't get a chance to talk about as much.

      Delete