Friday, October 12, 2018

Blog-Along: Tin Man (Part 1)

Welcome to my latest blog-along! For any new readers, this is the place where I informally review a movie moment by moment. Although I do mildly edit the content of these after to avoid large spoilers and to provide more clarity, these posts are essentially the purest version of quirky thoughts about the movie. For the best experience, watch the piece along with me and follow along with the time stamps, however you can also enjoy them just as is. Be warned, however, that some spoilers are inevitable because of this format, although I do my best to keep them to a minimum.
Now, on to this particular story!

telfie.com
Tin Man is a modern retelling of L. Frank Baum's The Wizard of Oz with a science fiction twist. Released in 2007, this three-part mini-series stars big names such as Zooey Deschanel, Alan Cumming, and Richard Dreyfuss. Although I remember watching this not too long after it came out, I hardly remember a single detail about it now. So, this is sort of my first impression (but not really). Anyway, I hope you enjoy it nonetheless!:


  • why is that the hero always has to have bad dreams? Why can't they have pleasant ones for a change? 
  • Is this Wonderland instead? "A storm is coming"...wonderful foreshadowing.
  • the twist on her gingham outfit is great
  • DG is a badass mechanic and artist who rides a motorcycle. What more could you want?
  • I think every possible cliché is already being used...
  • 20:00 - Don't worry about failing me, I'll just eat your soul. No biggie.
  • "This is the O.Z., the Outer Zone". Interesting twist.
  • 30:00 - Is the Tin Man literally encased in metal? Jeez, this is dark.
  • Why is this sorceress so weird and creepy? She's not tough, just weird.
  • There's the lion!
  • 40:00 - Digging up graves and pondering names
  • 43:20 - Jaded Indiana Jones, thank you for your insight.
  • Creepy cyborg city!
  • 52:30 - I'm sorry sir, but I didn't ask for a tattoo. I get thrown into a tornado, kidnapped, and tattooed...could this get any worse?
  • Convenient...travelling circus? Are we sure this isn't Wonderland?
  • Out of context phrases are the best: "You're not a killer, you're a Tin Man"
  • 1:11:10 - What?!?
  • I love how when the vehicle breaks down that the girl who is a mechanic isn't giving her opinion at all, haha.
  • 1:26:00 - Now that's a neat trick...can my tattoos come to life as well? *gets 50 dog tattoos and hopes*
  • However, let's be honest...who names one person Azkadellia and the other D.G.?
Thoughts:
There are definitely some cheezy elements to this, just as I remember there being originally. I did enjoy it the first time I saw it, but I don't entirely recall if I watched all three episodes or if I only got through two. Regardless, it hasn't aged the best, but I'm still intrigued by it overall and want to continue it.
------
Have you seen Tin Man before? How do you feel about retellings and adaptations with genre swaps?

No comments:

Post a Comment