Tuesday, October 9, 2018

"Unhaul" - Getting Rid of Books!

I just got rid of 18 books, and it feels great! Every year we have a big booksale in my region, and so there is a huge call for book donations. Now, 18 books might not sound like a lot, but for me, getting rid of books is borderline sacrilegious...so I'm listing it as a big accomplishment.



So, what didn't make the cut to keep?

1) The Five People You Meet in Heaven - Mitch Albom
Why?: Although it was a book I had been curious to read for a while, I had never purchased a copy. When someone I knew was getting rid of a copy, I decided to grab it from them and give it a go. I read it, I reviewed it, and don't really feel any desire to keep it.

2) Ever - Gail Carson Levine
Ella Enchanted and The Two Princesses of Bamarre are two of my favourite books of all time, and I also really enjoyed Fairest and The Wish...but Ever just didn't add up for me. No particular reason, it just didn't click for me in the same way the others did. So, out it goes.

3) Don Quixote - Miguel de Cervantes
I just don't care. No offense to this book, but it has never held any interest for me. It was given to me when someone I knew was giving away books and I hung onto it until I could donate it.

4) Jane Eyre - Charlotte Brontë
It's okay! You can stop screaming! For any of you who don't know, Jane Eyre is my default answer when asked what my favourite book of all time is. I own several copies. This is one I got for I believe...a quarter, and isn't one of the copies that means a lot to me. In order to conserve some space (...to buy nicer copies of Jane Eyre), this one went into the donation bin.

5) One Day - David Nicholls
Read and reviewed, but similar to number 1 on this list I didn't feel the need to reread it or keep it for the future.

6) T*Witches : Split Decision - H.B. Gilmour and Randi Reisfeld
Alright, I feel like I need to explain this one a bit. I really loved this series when I was younger (identical twin witches who meet for the first time as teenagers). This is actually book number 9. Why on earth did I only keep book 9? There was information in the back about the healing properties of herbs, crystals, zodiacs, etc. and I thought it was really interesting. Yeah...it was time to get rid.

7) Vanity Fair - William Makepeace Thackeray
I wasn't sure if I wanted to read this one for a while, but I eventually determined that I didn't care about it at this time, and that I could always easily get a copy in the future. It was given to me by the same person who gave me 1 and 4 on this list.

8) Double Indemnity - James M. Cain
Given to me by the same person as mentioned above, and had no interest in it.

9) The Bell Jar - Sylvia Plath
This book was a huge disappointment for me. If I ever feel the need to give it a second chance, I'm sure my library will have a copy.





10) The Day of the Triffids - John Wyndham
I already have another copy in better condition!

11) The Chrysalids - John Wyndham
Same as 10 on this list.

12) And Both Were Young - Madeleine L'Engle
Although I have an interest in some of L'Engle's novels, I was collecting these for a friend many years ago. These weren't in great shape, and ended up being ones that she already had. I finally wanted to clear them out.

13) Camilla - Madeleine L'Engle
Same as 12 on this list.

14) Troubling a Star - Madeleine L'Engle
Same as 12 and 13 on this list.

15) The Vampire Diaries (don't remember which one) - L.J. Smith
I was interested in the television show for a while, and decided to try out the books. Not for me. Stuck it in a bin and forgot about it until I was digging through looking for things to donate. Into the box it went.

16) Never Let Me Go - Kazuo Ishiguro
I didn't hate this book, but it was definitely a disappointment for me. I figured I was unlikely to read it again, so I sent it off for donation...not long after, someone I knew expressed an interest in reading it.

17/18) I don't remember what they were! Oops!

----
Do you ever get rid of your books? What criteria do you use? Are there any here that surprise you?

4 comments:

  1. I read both Don Quixote and Vanity Fair at uni (I graduated in English Language and Literature, but I also took Spanish for two years). I kept DQ for a while and even reread it a few times, but I ended up getting rid of it after a few years. The Bell Jar I bought myself and kind of loved, but it's too depressing for me to reread now...

    I love the title of this post BTW LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a fun major! I'm sure DQ is a great book, but I've just never been drawn to it unfortunately.
      And thanks, I'm thinking I might use the title for other declutter posts in the future ;)

      Delete
  2. I marvel at your willpower to get rid of books!! (I have nightmares over the very thing) ;)
    I totally agree with The Vampire Diaries. I'm a massive fan of the TV series but never liked the books at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to pretend I don't regret getting rid of a couple...but I would be lying. Yet, I acknowledge that it's for the best with these. I find it really painful as well!

      Delete