Tuesday, July 16, 2019

Library Life: Library Misconceptions

I've been fortunate that most of my life has been split between two incredible fields of work: science, and library services. Yet, what I've noticed while talking to people outside of these fields, is that there is very little understanding of what we do! I don't blame people for this, I have no idea how an accountant spends their day, or an electrician. However, both of my fields tend to be portrayed rather stereotypically in the media, leading to some pretty funny misconceptions. So today I want to share with you some of the most common ideas I have heard from people about library work/workers. In future, I want to discuss a little bit of what types of jobs I actually do! I've had experience in three departments, and in two types of positions, so my experiences will be an amalgamation of those, and anything else I can tell you - It won't be indicative of every library, but it's a start!


Misconception #1: You get to read books all day!

Uh...I WISH!
I have had to do this in the past, absolutely, but it's not as big a part of most library jobs as people believe. Children's Programmers, those who run storytimes, definitely have to do this to select the items they are going to read. Librarians mostly skim read to determine what items to maintain in the collection, otherwise they usually read book selection/review articles and magazines (nowhere near as fun, trust me). Occasionally we read to get an idea of items in the collection to better be able to recommend them to others, but this is usually on personal time, and for fun! I actually work with some people that don't read for enjoyment at all. These guys are usually movie buffs though!

Misconception #2: Everyone who works in a library is a student or a librarian.


Nope. We're used to being called librarians (and I don't mind it at all!), but most of us don't hold that title. Librarians are the ones that have a Library Science/Studies Masters degree, Library Technicians have a Library Technician college diploma. The most common positions you will likely be familiar with are: Pages (the ones who put the books away), Clerks (the ones at the circulation desk checking out books and registering new members), and Librarians/Library Technicians (those answering your reference questions). Not that we expect you to know these, don't worry! There are other positions, such as Library Assistants and Archivists, of course, but some positions are more behind the scenes, and you are less likely to see them on a daily basis. They all have other duties as well as those I mentioned, but that's a basic overview.



Misconception #3: We're shy and quiet, and/or only like books and hate people.

Well, we're just like everyone else...some of us are introverted, and some of us are extroverted. For example, I'm not particularly tall, but I often would get used for crowd control for larger programs - small, but with a mighty, booming voice when necessary (thank you theatre training!). And the introverted staff are not always limited to reference or behind-the-scenes jobs. A couple of us in my department are introverted, but have our moments of extrovert-level energy. Programmers though, are very often extroverts...I think they might combust if they weren't, haha. We totally hate people though (I'm kidding!).

Misconception #4: Your tasks are basically limited to checking out books, answering phones, and stamping books.

Oh gosh, where do I even start with this one? Although I will be devoting another post to my own work, I feel like I have to cover this, because it's one of the biggest misconceptions I know of. Do I do these things? Absolutely! However I also am one of the main troubleshooters for our 3D printers. Yep. So, if you think everyone in a library does a stereotypical job...wow, you are mistaken. Library workers are best described as adaptable problem-solvers. As an information and resource centre, people want to know anything and everything from how to fill out passport documents, how to get financial aid, what items we have on computer coding (and if it's good for a beginner, intermediate, or expert level), what that blue book was we had on display last month was, what they checked out sometime in the past two years that was about a dog, etc. I also have to help you figure out how to format your computer documents, how to send an email to someone without having an email address yourself (yes, I actually did do this a few months ago), proofread publicity documents to ensure they fit within brand guidelines, policies, and accessibility standards, figure out how to hang displays from the ceiling that won't set off the alarm, and repair damaged books.

---------------------
I know this barely scratches the surface, but it's a start! If there is anything I haven't covered, please let me know! I'd love to do some other posts about library life, and answer any of your questions. What are some common misconceptions you've had?

18 comments:

  1. Great post! Honestly, I'd love to work in a library (though, I am a little disheartened to find out you don't read 24/7 XD)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an awesome job that I totally adore, but it's definitely unpredictable!

      Delete
  2. Quote: "We're shy and quiet, and/or only like books and hate people."
    Haha, I guess people assume you're shy and quiet because of the "silence in the library" mantra!
    I was waiting for you to post this! I'm vaguely familiar with librarian stuff because I have a friend who tweets about it quite often, so I'm aware that you get asked the most random and outrageous questions or are supposed to perform the oddest duties LOL. But for instance, I didn't know there were so many different jobs under the "librarian" umbrella. What is yours, specifically?

    Quote: "As an information and resource centre, people want to know anything and everything from how to fill out passport documents, how to get financial aid [...]".
    To the best of my knowledge, that doesn't happen in Italian libraries. I've never seen that happen, that is, but it's been a while since I checked in, and things may have changed...though I don't think so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm working on a few "funny library situations" posts, so those will be something ridiculous for you to look forward to ;).
      My job is as a Clerk, and more specifically a Registration Clerk (so, the registration records of everyone who registers for a library card across the whole city gets their information essentially proofread by me - to make sure we have obtained all of the necessary information and it is formatted correctly).
      Yeah, it's probably a weird thing, but people require a lot of social support around here, and so it's common to help people figure out how to fill out documents, or refer them to places when we don't know/can't be held responsible.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you! I forgot how much I enjoyed writing these sorts of pieces.

      Delete
  4. This was a very informative post! Being a librarian would be my dream job. I understand you don’t get to read all day, but just being surrounded by books would be enough to make me happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really develop both an adoration for books as well as the ability to detach and throw them across a room without feeling a thing, haha. It can be kind of wild (depending on what department/position you are in), but I really wouldn't trade it for the world.

      Delete
  5. I loved this post. And I had no idea there were so many different types of jobs in a library or that not everyone who works there is officially a librarian.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Before I worked in the system, I didn't either! Now, some of these positions have more than one name, but those are the common versions I am familiar with.

      Delete
  6. There is so much variety in library work, and honestly I think it would be a blast to work in one (and no doubt challenging at times as well)! Thanks for sharing and providing some insight into what it's like!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So crazy, but so fun. It's a new adventure every day.

      Delete
  7. It reminds me of when I worked with animals. Most people thought I got to play with dogs/cats all day but it mostly working with stressed/irritated people and avoiding getting bit lol

    I'm familiar with the shy librarian assumption but almost all the ones I know are pretty outgoing. They just need down time to recharge.

    Karen @ For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  8. Most of my co-workers are surprised when I tell them I'm extremely introverted!
    Haha, right? It's so funny the impressions people get about certain jobs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this! I work as a librarian in a college right now, but I used to work in a public library. I have my MS so I am a librarian, but you're right - not everyone who works at a library is a librarian, but it's totally cool if you call everyone librarian. I don't think people will mind. And I WISH we could sit around and read all day - that would be great!! lol

    I've had people assume that public libraries must be super quiet, and I always have to laugh because...no. The stereotypical "shhh" librarian is not accurate. Libraries are often a lot louder than people think, but with areas that are quieter!

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
  10. I feel like 90% of library workers are fine being called librarians!
    And yep, my library experience involves things like virtual reality - not quiet at all!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awwwww these made me laugh so much! I have a friend who is a clerk so I guess I knew about these?! I love that you shared about it and demystify librarians.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love talking about my job, and it's funny to hear the differences between people's perceptions of a job vs what it actually entails.

      Delete