Tuesday, July 9, 2019

Mini-Reviews: The DUFF, Mortal Engines, The Impossible

More movies in my long list of things that need to be reviewed! I love watching movies, but I don't like to review all of them. Why not? Well, there can be a few reasons for this: 1) sometimes there just wasn't enough going on in it for me to feel inspired to write a full review/have enough material to write about, 2) because I often just want to watch a movie for enjoyment, and without analyzing it. So, here's how we both win: I watch it for fun, and then I write a mini-review. However, if you see that I have watched a movie and you desperately want a full review...tell me! I am more than happy to consider writing a full review if I know readers are interested.

Now that we've gotten that out of the way, here are some of the things I've been watching!

sheknows.com
The DUFF
Do you like Easy A? Well, this movie has that kind of feel to it. It's a relaxed, but fun teen movie that still deals with some important issues and relationships. It's a little bit quirky, but still very relatable. If you are looking for a fun movie for the weekend, or for an evening to curl up and relax with, then I think this is perfect. It will leave you feeling happy, and without having to think too intensely to keep up.


whats-on-netflix.com
Mortal Engines
Visually stunning, Peter Jackson's work is always gorgeous. Yet, this one lacks a lot in plot development and the motivations of the characters are not fully developed. I would love to connect more with the characters, but few get their proper chance to shine.  Not having read the book, I don't know if this is a proper representation. Robert Sheehan does quite well in his role though. Although the plot seems cool as a start, there are distinct issues in many areas. In what world does someone disown their family after seeing two suspicious things and being told something by someone you just met? Because of these flaws, moments that are supposed to feel epic and impactful simply fall flat. The movie feels simply like a pretty face with no substance.

moviereviewworld.com
The Impossible
This movie is insanely depressing. It's based on a true story about a family on vacation during the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami. Starring Ewan McGregor, Naomi Watts, and a young Tom Holland, the family puts all of their effort in staying alive and getting back together. If you want a tearjerker movie that keeps you on the edge of your seat and makes you stressed out...this is perfect for you. Not my thing really, but it was well done, and I would have to say it was a decent movie. I just didn't happen to "enjoy" it.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so happy you watched The DUFF! It's one of my ultimate favourite rom-coms (though, I still think the book's better). I also love The Impossible but it makes me cry all the time- the last time I watched it was in a Geography class years ago and I couldn't stop imagining me and my family going through the same thing... long story short, I had to leave the room because I felt so sick. Good times XD
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do want to read the book at some point...but where on earth does the time go??
      I remember watching Blood Diamond and Hotel Rwanda in class, and one of my friends had a really hard time watching them - I thought she was going to faint at one point.

      Delete